1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC 7 ages of Rock - starts Saturday

Discussion in 'music' started by prowla, May 18, 2007.

1. prowla

prowla pfm Member

URL: 7 ages of Rock
    Starts: Sat 19th May, BBC2 9pm.
    They say: A definitive landmark series charting the emergence and re-emergence of rock music as a global force, told through the musicians who have shaped this most enduring of genres.
    I say: I'm gonna watch it!

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Looks to have broken it into reasonably sensible chunks aside from the obvious omission of long-form improvised music such as the majority of Krautrock / Grateful Dead etc – it was here that the generic verse, chorus, verse, chorus, middle 8, verse, chorus to fade structure was first abandoned and therefore an important chapter. A hugely careless exclusion IMHO. The German stuff in particular is crucial to any understanding of how music got to where it is now, e.g. post-rock / techno / electronica. The average Joe on the street might not have heard of Can, Neu!, Faust etc but you can bet your mother that all the bands he listens to have.

Tony.

3. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

I'm going to make a point of missing programme 5.

4. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Sadly corporate blandness and an unwillingness to give up the cash cow once the ideas run out both have a large place in rock history.

Tony.

5. Fox

Fox The sound of one hoof clopping

Its all so depressingly mainstream. All of it.

As Tony says the Kraut influence is too important to leave out -- they could have at least spoken to Professor Julian Cope emeritus director of the Headheritage skool of Kräütism the next time his brain converged with our corner of the galactic continuum.

6. Cav

Cav pfm Member

"this most enduring of genres"

Rock = 40 years

Classical = 400 years.

Folk = forever

Only on tv...

7. The Captain

The Captain ~~~~~~~~~~

Im dubious if they leave out Led Zep (& Prince)- I mean how can you gloss over the biggest band in the world in the 70s? i dont trust it.

8. lostintheozone

lostintheozone Cabin Boy

Most TV music programmes get it wrong/play to the lowest common denominator/are trying to make some particular point. I will watch it (if the kids allow) in the hope of seeing and hearing some interesting performances but I am not interested in the voiceovered interconnecting drivel nor the thoughts of some supposed wise talking head (unless of course it was the Talking Heads).

Mind you Paul Oliver's programmes on the Blues weren't bad but I was young and impressionable then.

Wouldn't mind seeing/hearing Amon Duul2 either if we are in krautrock mode

Guy

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Indeed. I'd be more than happy if the scrapped the original format and showed seven programs on Düül II in it's place - a fine use of license payer's money IMHO.

Tony.

10. lostintheozone

lostintheozone Cabin Boy

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guy

11. Nigel

Nigel pfm Member

Does anyone remember a history of rock series shown in the late seventies shown on ITV? I think it was called "All You Need Is Love."

12. SCIDB

SCIDB Triode Man

Hi,

It is repeated on Sunday at 11.00 pm.

The programme looks like it will not have much Kraut rock in it. There are a number of big names in rock that will not be featured. Artists like Led Zeppelin, Iggy Pop and Joy Division wont be featured. There will rare footage of early Pink Floyd and david Bowie featured.

The programme has good promise as it is made by the people who did the excellent Soul Deeep, Dancing in the Streets and Walk opn by.

I will watch with interest.

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article1736627.ece

Dean

13. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

http://www.allyouneedislovedvd.com/

Paul

14. andrew d

andrew d pfm Member

Damm! Just clicked on that link and spent money!!!
    As it goes I have actually witnessed Tony speaking to Julian H Cope!! ( at a book signing ) but there was no sign of any researchers for the BBC show2

15. RSC

RSC pfm Member

What I saw was good: now watching the Jimi Hendrix film on BBC4, which is being followed by a film about the OGWT...
    I'll get my (great)coat...

16. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

First. I agree with Lemmy, in Radio Times, that the best 'age' was left out. i.e., the period leading up to Hendrix et.al. They totally missed Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry and countless others. However , if we're being semantic, the earlier age would've been Rock n Roll, or even R&B, rather than Rock. Oddly IIRC Rock didn't emerge as a universally understood term until the early 70's.

Tonight's prog was excellent in many ways. In particular the new (to me) footage of various bits. But, as ever, it was put together by people who mostly weren't there. I was. As usual, they took a simplistic view of what was not only an exciting and mega-creative time, but also a complex one.
    There were influences flying about all over the place.
    They did better than many, in for instance identifying that new guitar sounds were being created by the likes of the Yardbirds, before Hendrix broke.
    The dificulty, from my perspective, is that they tried to isolate Hendrix's (huge) influence. People, me included, were very 'into' him, but within the wider context of an incredibly musically and socially turbulent time. This was alluded to, but not really portrayed strongly enough IMHO.

As to Kraut Rock. I'm sure it has huge merit, but I'd never heard the term 'til I came to this forum. I was aware of Kraftwerk, but that's about it. Does this make me a bad person? ;)

17. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

It’s an influence thing – many of the albums that have shaped modern music were created in Germany between around 1969 and 1976. Up until this point rock and pop music was a fairly linear evolution of US blues, gospel and folk. The German groups that have been categorised as Krautrock rejected this form, aesthetic and structure entirely. What they put in its place was unprecedented and revolutionary.

In exactly the same way that The Stooges 1st LP shaped punk and Velvet Underground & Nico shaped 80s alternative / indie Krautrock shapes what we have today. Without Neu!, Can, Amon Düül I & II, Cosmic Jokers, Ash Ra Temple, Faust etc there would be no post-rock or modern indie and without Tangerine Dream, Kraftwerk, La Düsseldorf, Cluster etc there would be no techno, ambient house, electronica etc. You may not have heard of all the bands I mention but it is impossible to sit through so much as a 3 minute TV ad break without hearing their influence. It is simply everywhere. I have never met a credible rock, indie or dance muso who is unaware of at least some of these bands – together they wrote the instruction manual for modern music. Any so called history of music that omits this period is poorly researched idiot fodder IMHO.

Tony.

(didn’t see it tonight, will watch the repeat tomorrow)

18. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Evenin' Tony. I thought my last comment would flush you out!
    Seriously, I have nothing against Krautrock, but it just doesn't appeal. None of the forms whose genesis you attribute to K rock appeal either. To me, they are elevator/machine music. They lack humanity. I am steeped in folk/blues/R&B/Jazz, and all their myriad derivatives/offshoots. I can't help it.

I am, as ever, open to persuasion. Can you recommend a single album which might change my view? Is there such thing as a 'Krautrock Greatest Hits'?

Mull

PS. To be fair, the Beeb series doesn't claim to be a history of modern music.. only of 'Rock'. Like you, I could question their definition.

19. Rupert Hawkes

Rupert Hawkes pfm Member

The Hendrix doc on BBC4 was loads better. His version of Jonny B Goode was awesome.

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’d probably go for Tago Mago by Can – it is as far away from elevator music as one can get and perfectly demonstrates how free improvisation can not only work in rock music, but can make other forms sound leaden and stilted by comparison. It is a masterpiece. (Can have the best drummer ever too!).

Tony.