1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

BBC2: Being Blacker

Discussion in 'music' started by Tony L, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

An hour and a half documentary on tonight about Blacker Dread, owner of Brixton reggae record shop of the same name. BBC. A shop I sadly never visited when I lived in That London, which is most careless. Don’t think I ever got out to Brixton to be honest.

2. blossomchris

blossomchris I am not searching, I know what I am looking for.

I never heard of Blacker Dread until yesterday. I never visited the shop either, but went to the Academy a good few times.

Bloss

3. JustJohn

JustJohn pfm Member

I was in there a few years ago rifling through a crate of 12" singles out of boredom when much to my surprise I came across a nice but unpriced copy of Ralph and Florian. How much, I said. He took it off me, and he had a look at the front cover, and he had a look at the back cover, and he ummed and he arred, and he said, a tenner? I said, alright. We both seemed pleased.

I think the documentary is by Molly Dineen, who also did a wonderful film for the BBC way back when about Brockwell Park lido.

4. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

It was just brilliant. I met him once in Ridley Road market when I was buying some reggae dub plates from what can only be described as a shack.

Never got to go to his record shop in Brixton though.

5. robs

robs pfm Member

I'd never heard of him either, but just watched the film and thought it really good.

6. Cav

Cav pfm Member

I will watch this on catch up. Molly Dineen is very much underated - she did a charming documentary about the fluffers (no, not those fluffers) on the London Underground and In the Company of Men.

7. mikechadwick

mikechadwick pfm Member

Bit of a london legend - have recorded the program but haven't had time to watch it yet