1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Beatles solo albums....

Discussion in 'music' started by foxwelljsly, Mar 13, 2019.

1. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

John Lennon - Plastic Ono Band is one of the best albums ever made and All Things Must Pass, whilst good, I've never found to be quite the work of genius it's touted as.

However, I've recently been enjoying some of George Harrison's mildly scabrous 70's pop rock and Paul McCartney's Chaos and Creation in the Backyard.

Which other Beatles solo albums do folk reckon are worth spending some time revisiting?

2. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Imagine obviously, McCartney 1. I really like the odd track from the later albums, 'Watching the wheels' is very poignant. Unfortunately they will always be compared to the main gig

3. Martin M

Martin M Crueller than April

Yes, the first McCartney and RAM are extremely fine albums, and the Pure McCartney complilation is very good too. Lennon’s Imagine is very good, but for me, of his solo stuff the Lennon -Plastic Ono album stands in a class of its own.

neildalton and Woodface like this.
  4. myles

myles Intentionally left blank

I have always loved Brainwashed - George Harrison.

5. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

I do like P. McCartney’s ‘Flaming Pie’, except for a couple of tracks.
    Never liked any of his previous albums.

6. guydarryl

guydarryl pfm Member

I like John Lennon's "Rock and Roll" - sounds relaxed and enjoying himself.

7. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

Band on the Run. Thought Imagine was a bit overrated, if it wasn't Lennon would anyone have got excited?

8. spengenuk

spengenuk pfm Member

McCartney’s Flaming Pie and Chaos & Creation are pretty good. Been listening to the recent Wild Life and Red Rose Speedway which I have been enjoying but think one of his most solid outings was Flowers in the Dirt.
    Have never warmed to solo Lennon and Harrison, I would go as far to say I think Lennon is overrated in my opinion.

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Wings? The band The Beatles could have been!” Alan Partridge.

foxwelljsly, Wolfmancatsup and myles like this.
  10. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

I really can’t stand Alan Partidge / Steve Coogan.
    He is in the same league as Ricky Gervais.
    Offensive.

julifriend likes this.
  11. myles

myles Intentionally left blank

I think the Partridge character and indeed Coogan in The Trip are both hilarious. Different strokes though, I know a lot of people who can't stand him/them.

12. Alex N

Alex N Okurrr

I need a
    Tempo-rary secre-tary…

13. waxkinglyrical

waxkinglyrical pfm Member

No love for Ringo on this thread...?

14. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

Didn’t Ringo have early singles success with songs like ‘Photograph’ ?

15. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

I love 'McCartney II' for the whole 'synthy, one man doing it alone' vibe.

Big fan of Ringo's 'Goodnight Vienna' album too.

and his single 'It Don't Come Easy' is one of the best singles of the 70s IMHO.

Lennon's solo stuff leaves me cold.

16. Alex N

Alex N Okurrr

Yep. It's the sound of a man who's managed to plug in his new synthesisers, although still far too baked to even attempt to read the manuals.

Seeker_UK likes this.
  17. Vinniemac

Vinniemac pfm Member

I like Coogan in The Trip, but have never got on with Partridge outside of The Day Today - the perfect setting for that character. Like so much British comedy, it’s based on embarrassment, and I don’t laugh, I just cringe.

Ricky Gervais has me reaching for the off button every single time.

Back on topic, I think Band on the Run stands up very well. Their solo albums do tend to reinforce the “whole is greater than the sum of its parts” argument about the Beatles imo.

18. neildalton

neildalton pfm Member

I’m hearing what you’re hearing, my friend.

All I’d add is that McCartney still had plenty to offer on Wildlife. Not just the kind of barnstroming orgies of melody in which he’d always excelled as a Fab Fourer (things like Tomorrow and Some People Never Know); but also with Dear Friend - which is surely the most glacially beautiful song any ex-Beatle ever wrote. It would comfortably have graced the very best of their albums.

Dodeth and Martin M like this.
  19. Martin M

Martin M Crueller than April

Neil, thank you. Actually, I've never heard Wildlife and it seems that this will need to be fixed.

20. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Lennon is not overrated, he may not have the melodic gifts of McCartney but he wrote some of the best songs ever written & had a great voice.

guydarryl likes this.