1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'off topic' started by richgilb, Mar 11, 2018.

1. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

They have said that a lot won’t change but the cynic in me says it will. At present, brewing won’t move which is great news.

Sharps Doombar hasn’t changed in my opinion. Everyone was worried Coors would shift brewing elsewhere but they didn’t, just massively upped capacity at Rock. St Austell gets my vote out of the big brewers in Cornwall anyhow.

I can certainly see more takeovers by the majors of the good new generation of breweries like Dark Star. It will help them to fill the gaps they have in their ranges as they are generally more traditional - I’m sure sales have been hit by the craft brewers.At least this time round, any takeovers won’t be to grab the pubs and then shut the breweries which has happened in the past with the likes of Brakespear and King & Barnes plus many others.
  2. canonman

canonman Mirror slapper

My early drinking days were around Beverley Road too. Haworth, Gardeners, Station etc. I was an engineering apprentice at Rediffusion TV, long since gone. I escaped to the smoke and spent many years in Youngs territory. In those days it was normal to go to the pub for lunch most days, usually in a Youngs pub. Personally, I don't think that Youngs is quite the same these days, after it moved to Charles Wells Brewery in Bedford. Youngs Ordinary (as locals call it) had a unique taste. One of my drinking highlights was when John Young joined our group in the brewery tap after a visit. We shared a few pints together, what a character he was.
  3. monstrous lie

monstrous lie Infinitely Baffled

Well, what a turn-up! I realised after I had posted that in fact I had mis-identified Beverley Road. I meant to name Cottingham Road, as it was indeed the Gardener's and the Good Fellowship where we drank, as well as the Haworth Arms (where our school English teacher, Colin Wood, played a very fine jazz piano with his trio on some nights).

Re Youngs, I wasn't aware that the brand had been bought-out and the brewery moved away from Wandsworth! That takes away some of the magic - when did all that happen? Still love the beer though, although it is only rarely I get to go in a Youngs boozer nowadays. Their "Winter Warmer" was a fine old pint too, though that was in the seventies, when I was a twenty-something. I don't particularly go for dark, treacly - or even just moderately malty - flavours these days. I'm enjoying the popularity of the "grapefruit" IPA boom, of which there are many fine examples out here in the Welsh Marches.
  4. richgilb

richgilb I'd have voted out lol....

A pint of mixed in Hull was mild mixed with bitter, purchased mainly to bring the price of the pint down. Done with Mansfield's fine offerings, you can imagine the taste.
  5. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

I do a stint behind the bar every year at the village Beer Festival - about thirty cask beers and three or four ciders, and the customers always expect me to know every one. (Makes a change from Shepherd Neame, which only about one in ten pubs seems to know how to keep properly. Great in Faversham, dodgy elsewhere.)

For the last three years, the first beer to run out (even when we ordered 2 barrels) was a light one called 'Ginger Tosser'.....
  6. richgilb

I've seen that one...I bet the name counted for a lot.
  7. canonman

canonman Mirror slapper

Youngs stopped brewing in Wandsworth in 2006. Merged initially with Charles Wells and then finally sold out to them in 2011. I think they still have a micro brewery on site but essentially, it's all flats now. Youngs pubs remain though.
    Winter Warmer was pure nectar!
  8. gintonic

gintonic Pussy Lover

Which closed in 2006

The Lamb is still a nice pub, but a mere figment of what it used to be.
  9. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Youngs was always a favourite of mine, the Special and Winter Warmer have survived relatively unscathed but I personally drank the Bitter and although it's improved of late, it hasn't survived as well. Perfectly good if kept well, but it used to be even better.
  10. ks.234

ks.234 pfm Member

One of my favourite bottled beers is Old Thumper, on sale at £1.19 a bottle in Lidl
    Linds likes this.
  11. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

I love Old Thumper. A regular buy for me.
  12. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

PS It's cheap in Lidl.
  13. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

I feel cheated. Never seen Old Thumper in Lidl up here.
  14. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

I feel I need to point out that Newcastle Brown Ale isn't among them. It truly is the vilest thing I've ever tasted from a bottle.
  15. Tigerjones

Tigerjones Bagpuss

Do they still refer to Newcastle Brown as 'Dog'?
  16. HarryB

HarryB pfm Member

17. richgilb

For about 2 years as a student I drank Dog. It was popular. Manageable until the temperature rose on it. I always ended up leaving about an inch in the bottom of the bottle.
  18. seagull

seagull Seabird flavour member

I've still got a bottle downstairs. I can't remember how old it is but I'm not sure I want to drink it now anyway. It sits on the shelf next to a bottle of Eldridge Pope Hardy's Ale and a couple of numbered bottles of Fullers Vintage Ale.

The first time I encountered this in my local pub I loved it. It went down really well - tasted like an excellent session beer. After 5 or 6 of these I tried to get up to go home and found that my legs didn't work. It was only afterwards that I found out its strength.
  19. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

You are indeed. I used, on occasion, take a Sunday paper into the Three Tuns and sprawl it over a big table with lunch. Then go round the corner for tea in the record shop!
  20. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

As far as I know, a lot of Doombar is brewed in Burton, all the bottled stuff - there was not enough capacity at Rock. The cask is still made a t Rock. Now, St Austell - Ahhh! A pint of Tribute is the first thing I look forward to every year when we go to Cornwall.
    JezmondTutu likes this.