1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Bert Jansch in Mono?

Discussion in 'music' started by foxwelljsly, Mar 26, 2020.

1. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

Anyone know if Bert Jansch’s album ‘Jack Orion’ can be found in mono? Discogs is curiously non-specific on the issue, although I might not be searching correctly.

Cheers

2. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

3. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I’m pretty sure the original UK press is mono. I have this one, which is the second-state ‘T-globe’ label design and it sounds mono/centred and certainly says nothing about being stereo. I’ve also got ‘Bert And John’ and that is very wide stereo with one guitar in each speaker (and sounds great!).

PS The one linked above looks to be the one I have.

4. foxwelljsly

Cheers man, TRA143 is the one to go for then. Plenty of good players on Discogs for the same sort of price as a fancy reissue.

This and Bert and John are two of my favourite albums, but I only have both on CD and they are 'very stereo'. Recording is great, but the stereo is very distracting.

5. foxwelljsly

Sorry, but is your 'Bert and John' also an early transatlantic pressing?

6. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Yes, both have the same square ‘t-globe’ logo on both sides, which Discogs imply is the second-state. The Jack Orion matrix just ends in A/B depending on side, Bert And John is A1/B1. Neither has any indication of stereo or mono, though B&J definitely is stereo with very wide panning, and JO very likely isn’t (it is all right in the middle of the soundstage).

PS I’ve also got Pentangle Basket Of Light on the same label design.