1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Best albums of 2019... so far

Discussion in 'music' started by Alex N, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Graham B

Graham B pfm Member

I liked the Ex:Re recommended upthread and thought the Billie Eilish was ok but I keep on playing Soak’s new album Grimtown.
    Different to her debut from 2015, ‘Before we forgot how to dream’ but I’m finding an awful lot to like. The debut was recorded when she was a teenager too, amazing.

2. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Ex:Re for me so far (tip, 24 bit from 7digital).

3. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Liking Gece by Altın Gün.

Dutch-based "Turkish Psych Folk" sounds like a novelty but it's not just mild irony making this cool: it's listenable! They interpret Anatolian folk/rock songs from the 60s and 70s. The previous album is a bit too straight i.e. Turkish restaurant ... but here the electronic keyboards bring more of the Psych into it, there's more of an indie sound too. A curious mix, I think they've found a sound. Recommended first listen song: Leyla.

(Hi-res at 7digital.)

Last edited: May 25, 2019
  4. i.j.russell

i.j.russell pfm Member

[​IMG]

Mavis Staples - We Get By

5. Weeman1973

Weeman1973 pfm Member

Crazy Lixx - Forever Wild

80’s Hair Metal at its finest by these Swedish rockers!

Happy times, back when I had hair down to my backside instead of debts!!!!

6. darrenyeats

darrenyeats pfm Member

Was wondering how and when Gece had ended up on my to-listen list: I tried 'site: pinkfishmedia.net gece' Google search on Saturday, found nothing, and assumed it was from some other source, hence my ungrateful earlier post. Kudos @johncee , am loving it.

Penny dropped thanks to @foxwelljsly 's thread https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/anatolian-prog.228273/!

7. guey

guey pfm Member

The new Fujiya & Miyagi album, Flashback is, as expected, excellent.

lordmortlock likes this.
  8. Ibbots

Ibbots pfm Member

9. vince rocker

vince rocker pfm Member

Ooh a new Chris Forsyth album, how did I miss that? Vinyl ordered!

Ibbots likes this.
  10. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

If you like West Coast rock with tinges of The Byrds/Neil Young et al then this might well be right up your street.

jackbarron likes this.
  11. early

early pfm Member

I'm loving "5" by Sault , it's a pity it's download only I'd love to be able to get it on vinyl .

12. webster

webster Listen & enjoy.

Really enjoying Anima by Thom Yorke.

13. springer

springer pfm Member

It was Kevin Morby's 'Oh My God' until Bruce laid the masterpiece that is 'Western Stars' on us. Difficult to see anything bettering that.

14. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Wow, you're the only other person I've seen mention it, it's blown me away that album. Plus Aldous Harding's. Tempted to get a ticket for Kevin Morby later on in the year.

Not heard the Bruce album but I've never been a fan, maybe I should try it out?

15. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Gin Lady are good, for a Swedish band who appear to be playing in early '70s California. Are their other albums in the same sort of vein?

Jack

FireMoon likes this.
  16. Bertie Lasky

Bertie Lasky Well-Known Member

Still attempting to like Lets Rock by The Black Keys..even with late night tea and battenberg...it ain't cutting it!

17. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

I only know the previous album "Electric Lady", it's a tad more late 60s psyche west coast than the current one.

18. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

Thanks. I'll check that one out as well.

Jack

19. vince rocker

vince rocker pfm Member

Recent contenders for me are
    "Nunroyd Works" by Craven Faults, thumping old school synth. https://cravenfaults.bandcamp.com/album/nunroyd-works
    Kokoroko, self-titled EP on Gilles P's label, lovely mellow afrobeat / jazz https://www.amazon.co.uk/KOKOROKO-VINYL/dp/B07MG12TCY/ref=sr_1_1?crid=P4Y3DKTMS3A&keywords=kokoroko&qid=1562608442&s=music&sprefix=kokoroko,aps,255&sr=1-1
    The Chris Forsyth album "All Time Present" is probably still my number 1 pick though.
    For best archive release the Dylan 1975 box.

lordmortlock likes this.
  20. guey

guey pfm Member

The new Hot Chip, A Bath Full Of Ecstasy, is a cracking slice of pop.
    Insanlar's Demedim has been getting a lot of plays. If the idea of a Turkish psych version of E2E4 (ish) sounds like your thing, give it a go