1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Best amps I ever heard

Discussion in 'audio' started by Tim F, Jul 11, 2019.

1. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Yeh, we're just talking about the ksa, 50, 100 and 200 mk1 versions.

radamel likes this.
  2. Colin L

Colin L pfm Member

Mine.......MBL's
    but it really all depends on the speaker

3. poco a poco

poco a poco pfm Member

4. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Kondo Gakuoh & Kondo M77 into Vox Olympians.

Rockmeister likes this.
  5. JoeJoe

JoeJoe Active Member

Luxman 590ax. Pure class A. Beguiling liquid musicality.
    Apparently the 590axII is even better! Can only imagine, roll on lotto win...

hifinutt likes this.
  6. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

7. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

For sheer enjoyment and chutzpah...these... [​IMG]

Steveh100 and G T Audio like this.
  8. Killersteve

Killersteve pfm Member

After years of searching with Naim now Teddy Pardo PR1 and MB100 Monoblocks.

naimplayer likes this.
  9. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Distributor and Manufacturer

Might be best to quote what speakers were used with the amps listed as you normally choose the amplifier to match the loudspeaker...

For example: if you are driving a very high-efficiency speaker like a horn then you will need a specific amplifier to match the sensitivity and impedance, as a lot of high-efficiency speakers are over 8ohms impedance. Likewise, if you are driving electrostatics then you will need another type capable of driving difficult loads...

P.S. I see that some have listed speakers too. :)

10. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

With the Audio Research amps I heard they were with Martin Logan speakers and sounded fantastic. The Krell I demo'd was with Sonus Faber Concertino's and also sounded great - although years later my own Krell integrated, used with Wilson Benesch Square Ones, sounds even better than they did.

11. radamel

radamel Music Fiend

Yes, I agree.

For sake of completeness, I use the GamuT Di150 LE to drive a pair of Monitor Audio PL100II. Also does an incredibly good job driving the PL200II floorstanders.

12. Dozey

Dozey Air guitar member

Probably a Soulution pre-power combo at Walrus, into some Graham ls5/9 speakers.

Kevinfromexeter likes this.
  13. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

The Marantz were into a pair of NS1000s.

14. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Distributor and Manufacturer

Just love those Marantz Monos. From a time when the PM4 was around which you could buy for £249.99...

FireMoon likes this.
  15. Elkjær

Elkjær pfm Member

I also ones heard some GamuT monoblocks that the former owner Lars Goller made. They looked a little bit like the Dynaudio Avatars, and they were suppose to cost lige a Mercedes. But My god they sounded amazing. They never went on the market though.

radamel likes this.
  16. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

The first version of the class a msb 100 watters were pretty special.

17. Knipester

Knipester pfm Member

My vitus sia-025 a class integrated takes some beating... alas it’s in the classifieds due to a change in circumstances/direction.

18. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

My local dealer has a 2nd hand Vitus integrated in at the moment and I really found it fun to listen to.

Knipester likes this.
  19. andrewd

andrewd pfm Member

The best I have heard was my Conrad Johnson ACT2 and Premier 140 pairing, which I foolishly sold for too low a price when I moved to USA.

20. andrewd

andrewd pfm Member

Also right up there are the Electrocompaniet AW180 monoblocks. On my list to own one day.

Simon Dawson likes this.