1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Best cordless vacuum cleaner?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Eyebroughty, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Hi,
    Looking to buy a cordless vacuum cleaner, any suggestions or user findings on what are the ones to look for?
    Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Cheers
    John.

2. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

I have an older Dyson V6 handheld which has worked well and reliably for occasional use. We use a Sebo for proper cleaning but the Dyson has been better than expected. It could use a new battery now (3+ years) but ok for a small spill or one room,/stairs etc.

Eyebroughty likes this.
  3. zippy

zippy pfm Member

Cordless cleaners are a big disappointment to me. None of the one's I've had get anywhere near the cleaning ability of a decent cylinder model.
    I currently have a Bosch PROAnimal and all I can say is that it does a 'barely adequate' job. However it's only 2 years old but already shows signs of wearing out, notably a scraping noise as if something is rubbing against something else inside. Also the speed switch doesn't always work without a degree of 'jiggling'.
    I still have to use my 10 year old Miele once a month to get at the dust that the Bosch leaves behind.
    As for the accessory tools, they're a big joke as you have to virtually dismantle the machine to plug in the attachments.

Eyebroughty likes this.
  4. wiresandmore

wiresandmore pfm Member

We just bought one of the new Bosch units with the extra battery for ~£300 in a Currys promo (was this model - https://www.bosch-home.ie/productli...GB?breadcrumb=rechargeablefloorvacuumcleaners). We are using it as our "normal" daily cleaner with great results so far. Our old Miele will be used once per month for the "big clean"

Can't bring myself to buy Dyson given his Brexit stance. But Which etc do love them.

5. Konteebos

Konteebos Ignorant Uninformed Hard Remainer

We recently bought the G-Tech K9 models (I won't buy a Dyson product ever again because of his Brexit stance), we are completely happy with it.

Eyebroughty likes this.
  6. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

Also got a little gtech ram thingie, not bad at all but the bin doesn`t hold much , but very useful

Eyebroughty likes this.
  7. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Do not buy a cheapo as it may not do this

Bloss

Martian Sunrise and cutting42 like this.
  8. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

Recently bought a Dyson V10 to replace a DC44. The DC44 did not have enough run time in our new house with extensive laminate flooring. The performance is on a par with our DC25 upright.

9. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

dyson v10 we love ours, enough to give our 2 up 2 down the once over

10. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

No Dyson here either, because of Brexit and also because the hoovers are absolute crap.

We have a VAX Blade 2, it's good.

11. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

The obvious choice is the Dyson, but it'll never find a home in our house for reasons already mentioned upthread. So we bought the VAX, the 40V one, which is adequate (I think the 24V one is reputedly a bit feeble). We use it for a quick tickle round in between using the main vac (yes, a Dyson, bought many years before Brexit was a Thing) and it's fine for that (we have a dog, so lots of hair and dust on a regular basis). Ergonomically, it's a bit suspect though: the bin doesn't empty all that easily, and the way I hold it, I'm forever switching the damn thing off by mistake. But it's fine, for a small cordless, and quite practical because you can get it out, whizz it round the room and put it back in the time it takes to deploy the main vac.

12. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

Just bought the Dyson V11. Bloody expensive but don’t find much difference between it and our Sebo other than being much more versatile. With regard to Dyson’s political views, if I only bought stuff from manufacturers that shared my view I would have an empty house. China and the USA are cases in point.

Tony Lockhart and gintonic like this.
  13. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

My folks bought a G-Tech, more than happy with it.

14. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

If you aren’t adverse to Dyson, the deals
    on the refurb EBay store are great.

With a 10% off code, I bought a V6 Animal for a family member yesterday lunchtime for £134.99 and it arrived this morning. Like mine, it looks like a brand new one.

We have a Miele, but the V6 is great for car cleaning and quick vacuum jobs.

15. gintonic

yes we are looking to buy a lovely Dyson fan through that site.

JezmondTutu likes this.
  16. gintonic

mine did and it broke within 3 months. It almost took small claims court to get a refund.....

17. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

Unfortunate but why a refund & not replacement then , their battery died at 12 months old & it was replaced within 48 hrs, service was excellent.

18. gintonic

because my mother was totally unimpressed by it, the build quality and performance. She bought a Dyson.

19. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

Reverse of my parents, they had a Dyson that was utter rubbish.

Funny old world.

20. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies so far, seems that Dyson is the one most popular but some will not buy it because of his views.

That aside it also seems that along with the cordless vacuum a regular corded one is sometimes required to give complete cleaning abilities.

As my house is carpeted in all rooms I think the cordless one might struggle as the dust buildup is quite high, I tend to have most of my windows open during the day.

Looks like so far that a powerful corded vacuum cleaner is the best option, just wish they would give a longer cord, however I will wait for any other suggestions .

Cheers

John

JezmondTutu likes this.