1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Best cordless vacuum cleaner?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Eyebroughty, Sep 9, 2019.

1. zippy

zippy pfm Member

I was unimpressed by the Gtech I owned too - built more like a toy than a real machine..

gintonic likes this.
  2. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

are my mother? those are her exact words, "built like a toy"

3. seagull

seagull Seabird flavour member

[QUOTE="Eyebroughty, post: 3758082, ]Looks like so far that a powerful corded vacuum cleaner is the best option, just wish they would give a longer cord, however I will wait for any other suggestions .[/QUOTE]

We've got a vax air stretch pet plus corded cleaner. The mains lead on that is long enough to reach all of our bedrooms from a central socket on the landing.

Eyebroughty likes this.
  4. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

We did the Dyson thing before Brexit etc as well but not sure it would alter my buying habits. Our corded Sebo has a massive lead, can reach the whole upstairs from the landing socket (well apart from one end of our bedroom but our upstairs is extended).

I would be interested in a cordless main vac though, with modern battery technology it should easily be possible. I have a good friend who has just bought a battery lawnmower and it copes with his 1/4 acre lawn just fine, surely vacuuming a house should be possible.

5. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

We've had a Bosch Athlet for 3 years or so. I did have to repair the brush rotating mechanism after the wife failed to clean hair out of it, other than that, it's very good and we use it for 90% of our vacuuming.

OT, but we have a corded Dyson. Rubbish. The holes in the cyclone mechanism get clogged with dirt and the filters - which the low maintenance blurb barely mention and my wife didn't know were in it - need changing far more often than you might expect and the plasticky accessories are easily broken. On the plus side, dismantling vacuum cleaners is dad fun. Our bagged Sebo is a far better machine.

6. Martian Sunrise

Martian Sunrise pfm Member

We have a shark, which is good, but make sure you get the two batteries.

7. AV8

AV8 pfm Member

We ourselves bought a corded Shark, it is excellent.

8. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

I too am looking into this.

We had a Dyson DC04. It was very heavy, blasted out so much hot air that it was more efficient as a space heater than a vacuum cleaner, and bits broke/fell off with depressing regularity.
    Above was replaced with a Vax 'Mach Air' summat or other .. billed as the 'lightest upright available'. Is sucks like the proverbial and is generally very efficient, except that the filters clog up fairly quickly and the whole thing needs quite frequent thorough disassembly and cleaning to maintain its 'suck'.

I was recently diagnosed as house dust allergic, so I'm more fastidious now and would ideally like a 'lift away' cordless that works. Shark, Vax and Dyson all seem to have interesting ranges but I won't touch Dyson due to Brexit and previous experience.

'Er Indoors' is complaining that the current VAX is adequate and we don't need a new machine, which is why I might consider a separate, cordless handheld, for all but floors.. if such a thing exists.

9. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

Bosch make fantastic tools as such I bought a full range cooker and various kitchen appliances plus an Iron. Absolutely shocking quality, looks the part when new everything breaks or does not work as it should. Bosch tools yes household goods will never buy again.

10. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

The best vacuum cleaners is Miele by quite a distance the old saying you get what you pay for.

zippy likes this.
  11. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

I speak as a Miele fanboi for most things but although great and right up there I still rate Sebo above them. Not as fancy or consumer friendly but 1000's of hotels around the world are not wrong.

I.D.C. likes this.
  12. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

We had a DC04, wife wanted a Miele Cat and Dog. We are now on our second Miele and both have been much better than the DC04.

13. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

DC04 definitely not one of Dysons best but bear in mind it was the second mass market upright model introduced over 20 years ago.

14. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Hi,

Well a lot to think think about, I have someone I know who works in Currys so will ask him what he finds the best seller and also which ones he thinks are not that good.

I might go for buying two, one corded and one cordless, I have spoken to two people who have Gtech's and they think they are wonderful, also spoke to one who has a Dyson and he really liked it.

I think the cordless for the quick run around every couple of days and the corded one for the weekly clean. I also already have a Dyson, not a clue what model it is and a Vax which I have hardly used as the Vax is too big to pull around other than when I want to wet clean the carpets.

Will let you know what I end up with.

Thanks for all the information and help.

Cheers

John

15. Euan

Euan pfm Member

Have experience of a GTECH. I think its hopeless. But my 86 year old mother loves it because it is light and she can use it up and down stairs

I own a Miele cat and dog. I initially liked it but soon tired of its bulk and weight and having to buy filters and bags.

My wife bought me (you read right) a Dyson V10 and initially I wasn't sure but now I love it. It sooks better than the Miele and does the edges more effectively too. Its light and mobile and tough enough to do upstairs and downstairs (carpets, tiles and hardwood floors) on one charge.