1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Best courier for large items within UK???

Discussion in 'off topic' started by strummer, Sep 14, 2015.

1. strummer

strummer pfm Member

I need to move 2 large boxes or a pallet to London.

Which is the best / cheapest company out there?

I once used a website where you put your load details on & hauliers bid for it. Can't remember the name though??

ta

2. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

From Croydon to London or from Timbuktu to London?

Or may be somewhere in between.....

3. strummer

strummer pfm Member

Apologies Barry. I wrongly assumed everyone here knew I'm a norvern monkey.

Merseyside to Larndon.

Found it now. www.shiply.com

4. AndrewM

AndrewM pfm Member

I used Palletforce to ship a pallet with a secondhand Rayburn on it from Scotland to Hampshire last year. Price was reasonable and it arrived safely.

5. strummer

strummer pfm Member

Thanks Andrew

I'm getting quotes from Shiply from £76 - £88.

2 cardboard boxes of 87cm x 57cm x 54cm, Weight 55kg each.

Merseyside to Central London.

I think that's fantastic!!!!

6. Simon Vess

Simon Vess pfm Member

Hi

I always use UPS. They may not be cheapest but I have found them much more reliable, and unlike many others, the parcel always arrives undamaged

Avoid UK mail.....I think they kick any parcel marked "fragile"

Simon

7. strummer

strummer pfm Member

Thanks Simon

From what I can see, UPS wouldn't take my cargo.

I went on www.interparcel.com , the weight only goes up to 50kg (mine are 54kg each), so I input at 50kg. UPS didn't come up.

8. doctorf

doctorf left footed right winger

You could try anyvan.com
    They came up trumps for me when shiply failed.

Simon

9. strummer

strummer pfm Member

Thanks Simon

Isn't anyvan just the same as Shiply though? IE, just a portal where independent couriers bid for work?

What issues did you have?

10. synapse

synapse pfm Member

I've used this man with a van site a number of times without incident....in fact it's a great service, though whether better than Parcel2go for your needs perhaps not?

11. strummer

strummer pfm Member

Thanks synapse, but I can't find anywhere on the Anyvan site that allows me to input the dimensions??

It's quite large & heavy (2 cardboard boxes of 87cm x 57cm x 54cm, Weight 55kg each)

I input that on Parcel2Go & they want £160 for 48hr delivery & £190 for next day.

12. synapse

synapse pfm Member

unsure if they've changed the format but there is somewhere where you can give a description of the items and then drivers bid for your custom at which point you can get into some correspondence with them?

13. strummer

strummer pfm Member

Ah OK, maybe I could manually write the weight & dimensions in the Description box.

Have to say the Shiply website is a lot better.

14. doctorf

Yes it is the same sort of thing.
    I just found Shiply less responsive and more expensive but you may well find different.

Simon

15. doctorf

I doubt you will get much better than your Shiply quotes.
    A couple of weeks back I had to do a couple of deliveries of very heavy items and I found it cheaper and more effective to hire a van and do it myself.
    480 miles in a Vauxhall Vivaro van. £48 to hire for the day and I got 42 mpg.
    It's what being retired is all about!!

Simon

16. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

A friend of mine who needs to ship a couple of large heavy boxes - blanket wrap - from London to Devon is using these people :-

https://www.uship.com/uk/
    It`s another set up where they just bid for the job, I think.

17. strummer

strummer pfm Member

Thanks for the input guys.

I booked it on Shiply. Collected at 17.30 yesterday, delivered by 11am this morning in central London, exactly as they said they would.

How they do it for that price, I don't know.

18. doctorf

Because they ship all sorts of stuff in the same van.
    More profit for them and less expensive for you.
    Everyone wins!

19. EigirdD

EigirdD Guest

Hi! If you still need recommendation about parcel delivery company, i can recommend Parcel ABC. I chose them few times and will choose it again. The best thing that they do door 2 door! I think this recommendation will be useful for you in the future. More information about their services and prices are in Parcel ABC site: https://www.parcelabc.co.uk/

20. Konteebos

Konteebos Ignorant Uninformed Hard Remainer

I've used Paisley Freight a few times for large items without any problems. They sub-contract the work to other freight forwarders. They can supply pallets if you need one.