1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Best EP Ever?

Discussion in 'music' started by droodzilla, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

8/10 for the music

-11/10 for the SQ

Jono_13 likes this.
  2. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

The only EP I own is this Shadows one.
    I spotted it in the loft the other day.
    Wonder if it’s worth anything...

3. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

4. julifriend

julifriend pfm Member

I have a couple of Beatles EP, Twist And Shout and No 1. I also have twin 7” version of MMT.

As for Tony’s comment, I, personally, could happily spend the rest of my life only listening to the output from the Beatles. It might actually be a good challenge for October. Nothing but Beatles month. Hmm.

I also have a couple of 10” discs. One by The Kinks (Shape Of Things To Come) which has 8 tracks and is almost a greatest hits disc as all tracks were hits and one by Rickie Lee Jones (Girl At Her Volcano) which has 7 tracks. The latter is a Quiex II pressing.

5. Elephantears

Elephantears Trunkated Aesthete

Of course, how could it slip my mind? It's perfect, and I love the raw pre-Hannet sound.

The other absolute classic EP for me is The Cramps, 'Smell of Female'. I realise it's a borderline mini-album, being 6 tracks, but it is 45RPM, so that makes it officially an EP.

Darren and Jono_13 like this.
  6. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

^^^ This is exactly why you don't like the Beatles. It's that simple, and no more explanation is necessary or particularly relevant.

For those who do like them, I have heard there is about to be a new Beatles release. It's something that John was working on before he died. Ringo and Paul have finally recorded it, and it will be out soon.

It probably won't be a classic. 'Free as a bird' wasn't. But I certainly want to listen to it.

7. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Good shout, as is @Elephantears’ MBV.

8. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Their finest moment.

9. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

I have checked my discogs collection and I have 13 or so EP's. Love 'em

Bloss

10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

For sheer raw mentalness I’d put Gravest Hits ahead of it. I saw them live shortly after that and they really were crazy good!

11. Colonel_Mad

Colonel_Mad pfm Member

12. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

Young Marble Giants - Testcard EP

aedagnino likes this.
  13. BLACKMASS

BLACKMASS pfm Member

Cocteau Twins Aikea Guinea

Aikea-Guinea
    Kookaburra
    Quisquose
    Rococo

My introduction to the Cocteau’s was seeing the video for Aikea Guinea on a Saturday morning TV show hosted by Gary Crowley. My life was never the same after that.

Rob998, Jono_13 and Elephantears like this.
  14. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

Sisters of Mercy - Reptile House

springs to mind.

15. Sich

Sich pfm Member

May have been mentioned but:
    [​IMG]
    For me far better than the LP it came from.

16. aedagnino

aedagnino pfm Member

Had forgotten about it! It's sooo beautiful, a case can be made about it being the best thing they did.

irons1965 likes this.
  17. Jono_13

Jono_13 Duffer

Got it, love it...

BLACKMASS likes this.
  18. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

1974 when Tom Moulton couldn't find any 7" blanks for a test pressing of an Al Downing track. His Engineer spread the track over one side of a 12 and they listened to it open-mouthed.
    "It was an accident you know," laughs Moulton. "I'm not trying to compare this to the polio vaccine, but didn't Luis Pasteur do the same thing when he left something in a petri dish over the weekend? So I kind of get embarrassed when people say, 'oh you invented the 12". No I didn't invent it, they just ran out of 7" blanks."

Studio opened in 77 which was a bit later but I'm nit-picking.

irons1965 and jackbarron like this.
  19. LostAtSea

LostAtSea "33 222 1 222"

to the OP, do Peel sessions count? if Yes then 'That Petrol Emotion''s sesh' gets a fair few listens around these parts.

20. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Cascade was better. :D