1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Best ROBOT vacuum cleaner? R2D2 sucks?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by JimmyB, Sep 9, 2019.

1. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

So as not to highjack the cordless thread, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any experience of robot vacuum thingies and what features are musts and how much to you need to pay to get something that works.

Basis is a new engineered wood floor going in soon, most likely with a rug in one area and this will be linked to a tiled hallway and laminate kitchen. Seems eminently suitable for an Asimov style intervention but if it's just going to be a waste of money I'll just stick with a decent normal one.

P.S. Dyson is out due to right wing Brexit tendencies......

ff1d1l likes this.
  2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I bought a cheap one, great for perfectly flat floors, useless on lumpy ones, couldn't handle a rug.

3. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

4. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

"I sold my vacuum cleaner last week; it was only gathering dust". Tim Vine.

Rob998 likes this.
  5. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

wow suck that up

6. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

7. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

They will either not ride up onto a rug, or if it does it will be quickly destroying the ends and sides of it in the process.

Don’t bother if you have nice rugs.

8. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

Still to get rugs and hoping to get quite a deep one I suspect. Didn't think of it knackering the edge though, that's a good bit of info.

9. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

this advert shows a robovac going over a very shaggy rug....must mean it works then.
    [​IMG]

10. JimmyB

JimmyB pfm Member

I've given up on the 'Best XX things of 20XX', purely online researched with no actual experience with the products and most likely just disguised advertising/propaganda.

Just had a demo of a Roomba in John Lewis......not sure of the model number but several hundred quid and it failed on the rug we were thinking may be nice when we get the room finished. That was easy in the end, if ~£500 worth of robot can't manage a rug convincingly then no point.