1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Better now than 9 years ago.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by stevec67, Nov 9, 2018.

1. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

9 years ago today I woke up in hospital without remembering how I'd got there. The last thing I remembered was being on my bike. I had 2 very worried looking parents standing at the end of the bed. In fact I had 4 because I was seeing double. It was a long road to recovery, and I spent a lot of time idling away here because there were lots of days when I couldn't do much else.

However, hangover aside (I always enjoy a few on the 8th Nov, it's become my second birthday. I call it my "not dying" day) I feel better than I did on 9 Nov 2009.

9 years eh? Time scurries on.

2. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

happy 2nd birthday !!! glad you are still here to tell the tale !

3. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Congratulations Steve, in coming through this and getting stuck into life again!

4. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

Happy ninethday, have great and grateful day, and many more.

5. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Wow. Very similar happened to a friend of mine. He’s also getting far better.

Glad you’re okay!!

6. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Happy birthday.

7. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Happy Birthday!

Hope you haven't got too many residual aches.

Had similar 13th November 2013, squashed by a bus in Marseille, still getting better.

gassor, linnfomaniac83 and Weekender like this.
  8. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Thanks gents, I appreciate the best wishes. As far as getting better, I'm there. I have a few residual issues, head injuries are a PITA and the effects never properly go away. It's just something I live with, the new me isn't the same as the old me, in some ways he's not as nice a guy and he's an absent minded bugger, but he's much more effective at work (see not as nice a guy comment earlier). The skeletal injuries are less of a problem, I'm still climbing at a decent standard, led a 6a+ out in Greece last month, and out cycling the other week I was surprised to leave a 20-years-younger mate behind on a climb. He needs to give up the jazz cigarettes. I need to lose a few pounds.

Glad you are on the mend dweezil. I was the best part of 4 years before I was properly better, so it's a long haul.

Joe P, Weekender and blossomchris like this.
  9. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

I've had a couple of minor bangs on the head from erroneous drivers and the mental side took a long time to clear up.
    Cheers Steve & Dweezil.

10. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Happy observed birthday Steve. Will you spend it at Balmoral or Sandringham? Are you having a 9th birthday party complete with jelly with tinned fruit chunks in it, and bags of squashed birthday cake for everyone to take home ? (I always hated it when the adults b*gg*r*d up the jelly by putting canned fruit in it).

I had two near death experiences but since one was age 4 and the other age 11 the gravity didn't register - if only we could retain the innocent resilience of childhood. You're right about head injuries though - the personality changes and anxiety/panic attacks are hard to take - message to helmet deniers out there - you do not want a head injury - even a mild one that doesn't require a hospital stay.

Weekender likes this.
  11. richgilb

richgilb Lol....

Congrats. You actually passed into a parallel universe after your accident. Your life is the same but you were reprogrammed to be a bit happier than you were.

In the other universe, Gordon Brown did a deal with Lib Dem after your accident and things are very different over there now.

Welcome to the other side.

stevec67 likes this.
  12. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It was The Crossed Shuttle, here in Leeds, followed by The Marsh.

About 5 pints of bitter, as it goes. Black Sheep Riggwelter (that's a dark and chunky bitter, they'll never sell that as an IPA. Thank God. Then a Ruddles, nice enough, the rest Timmy Taylor's Landlord. Best pint in Yorkshire and therefore the world. :)

I was lucky, I ducked the anxiety/panic bit and depression, it was replaced by a very steady, stoic view. I misremembered a French expression: "Coute que coute", meaning "at any cost". My version was "Ca coute ce que ca coute", meaning "It costs what it costs." This became a mantra over the year and a half into 2 years when I was unwell. I still use it now when the chips are down. The personality change I struggled with was, I learned 4 years after the accident, "frontal lobe disinhibition". Roald Dahl had it after a plane crash, it's where his flights of fancy came from. In my case it made me aggressive, which is rather common. Apparently a disturbing proportion of violent offenders in prison have had a frontal lobe injury. I was fortunate that on the occasions when I squared up to someone they had the good sense to get out of the way. It's under control now, I'm aware of it and keep it locked up. In work it comes in handy when some tw*t REALLY deserves it.

davcoll and Weekender like this.
  13. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Steve,

I remember that day well — Mr Ribee started a thread with a title something like “Man down!” so I’m glad that some nine years later it’s “Man tells story about the time he was down.”

:)

Joe

14. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I'll be very polite with you from now on ;) That Black Sheep pint sounds good. Now that the weather has turned colder it's out with the pilsners and in with the stouts, porters and tripels.

Dozey likes this.
  15. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

What happened to JR? I recall that he was in logistics, and he didn't like Brexit at all.

16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I had dinner with JR and Dan of this parish last summer after they had been to watch the cricket. JR is well, just not posting on pfm these days. Apparently he dislikes the new format and especially doesn't get on with the "like" button. Other than that he is still in logistics, still has his ass-engined Nazi slot-car in spite of the fact that it's now worth about 35p having done plenty of miles, and he still doesn't like Brexit at all.

Nic Robinson likes this.
  17. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Many happy returns, Steve!

18. robs

robs pfm Member

Indeed! Happy Rebirthday!!

19. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

Happy birthday Steve.

The Mrs brother is currently in hospital following an rta. Broken collar bone, scapula, fib, twelve ribs a neck wound like a bad kebab and a streak on the road comprised of his chin and cheek.

20. eternumviti

eternumviti pfm Member

Jesus.