1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Big changes in your lifetime?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by The Far North, Aug 25, 2019.

1. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Air quality

Bloss

2. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

This actually struck a little chord with me, and I think you're wrong, or at least displaying somewhat of a lack of understanding of what goes through people's minds at these times. About 25 years ago, I was stuck in a job I hated. It was financial sales and had a ferocious monthly target. I bust that target every month, but only by being utterly ruthless, and I am really not a ruthless person.

One day it got to me so much, on my way to work, as I was approaching a railway bridge, it occurred to me that if I hit the bridge at sufficient velocity, I wouldn't have to go into work for quite some time, or indeed ever again...

In that moment, the disruption that I would have caused, the closed road, the closed railway, the tying up of emergency services etc, etc, never even occurred to me. You might say that was selfish, and I would say I was nearly beyond the concept of selfishness.

Actually, my selfishness kept me alive. I didn't hit the bridge, I got to work, walked straight into my managers office and resigned.

The people who kill themselves in the circumstances you describe aren't selfish, they're just desperate.

deebster and deanf like this.
  3. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Vulcans could make the ground shake from a height of a hundred feet!

4. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Just ask the Argentinians posted to Stanley Airfield.

5. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Rob,

I hear ya, man. I was there myself about seven years ago — a crap work situation, which caused me to contemplate running the car into a bridge at Warp 9.875 to shuffle off this mortal coil. At the last second I decided otherwise — thankfully. Work is so much better now that that shit seems like a hazy nightmare, but it was a dark time at the time.

Joe

Rob998 likes this.
  6. Rob998

Rob998 Scimmia Nordoccidentale

I'm glad we both got through it Joe.:)

I was doing 50 (Warp 11, relatively) in a 1971 ex-army Landrover, with retro/rudimentarily fitted seatbelts... The steering was loose to say the least, I was about 20m away from the bridge when I steered away from it. Considering the bloody thing usually required a weeks notice in writing for any manoeuvre more exciting than a three point turn, it was a miracle I survived, even after I decided I wanted to..

7. Joe P

Rob,

I’m glad I’m here to say I’m glad that you’re here. :)

Joe

Rob998 likes this.
  8. Joe P

Bob,

Vulcan Plomeek soup will do that to ya. Tasty stuff but don’t eat it if you have a day-long meeting the next day, if ya know what I mean.

Joe

9. MartinC

MartinC pfm Member

When I was very very young (honest), Christchurch had electric powered trolley buses complete with a rotating platform at the end of the high street to turn them around. Now 50+ years later we are admiring the move back to lesser polluting electric vehicles. Hmm...

10. Cereal Killer

Cereal Killer fourhundredandthirtytwo

Breaking most major bones in my body (motorbike accident), a bitter 4 year long divorce(still not fully resolved), and moving from one end of the county to the other and back again (now home in London), have been my own personal challenges... nothing that's every had me contemplating the worthiness of this mortal coil though.. life is too much of a gift to waist wishing it could've been something else :)

But if we're talking society wise; being born in 1970 and coming from india when i was 7 months old, growing up in Rainham and West Yorkshire, and witnessing the cultural rejection from both places right the way through till the 00's was quite remarkable.
    living through the 80's was 'something special' for a fairly eccentric and dyslexic India kid, who was into fine arts and dancing to techno...

11. Bob McC

If I remember rightly they only made one hole.

12. mjw

mjw pfm Member

13. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Rob, thank you for this, and I'm very glad you're still here so we can have this conversation. Joe too...

You may have misunderstood. The actual context of my post was in response to George saying that he could smoke if he chose, because it was his life. I wanted mainly to point out that these decisions are almost never without consequence for others. I chose a somewhat lurid example, by way of making my point.

I didn't, and don't accuse anybody contemplating suicide of selfishness - there are obviously far more weighty issues in play.

In point of fact, choosing to smoke, knowing the personal risks, and the effect it will have on those close to you IS, I believe, profoundly selfish (addiction issues aside, perhaps). To dress it up as personal freedom, as George did, is to miss the point. If I gave the impression that I believe suicide to be similarly selfish, then that was clumsy of me and I apologise to you and any others who have found themselves in that position.

Joe P and Rob998 like this.
  14. Bart

Bart pfm Member

Kids used to aspire to dress and act like grownups, now it’s the other way around.

foxwelljsly likes this.
  15. George J

George J Herefordshire member

Dear Sue Pertwee-Tyr,

I suppose it is reasonable enough to make assumptions from a post and derive judgements based on those assumptions. So please allow me to dispel one or two you have made that are not right.

I started smoking at the age of thirty five, fully aware that it might take thirty or thirty five years to curtail my life. I always enjoyed being in the company of people who were smoking, most especially my late grandfather who also enjoyed the company of smokers. I shared my first pipe with the by then retired principal double bass of the ROH,CG Orchestra after we had just played in a training orchestra.

I also knew then that I would never accept NHS treatment for any self-induced illness. I do not smoke in the company of non-smokers except if they say they would like me too. Even at home. My family extends nowadays to a sister in law who lives two hundred miles away. I am guessing that, though she is fond of me, she would soon get over me dying! It so happens that she also smokes ...

As for friends, I know that the handful of really good friends I have would prefer me to be myself and carry on. Most of them smoke and some non-smokers among them enjoy being with me in my home while I roll a fag or smoke a pipe.

So no selfishness there at all.

To perhaps cover your suicide parallel, I will say that if I were to be be incapacitated, I would certainly do this, if I could. My GP is aware of my DNR [do not resuscitate] wish. I don't want to be a burden when I become un-useful. My method would be totally tidy.

I see no reason to wish for twenty years in a nursing home.

I hope that clarifies a little.

I will not speak for others, but it seems to me that selfishness is everywhere, and sometimes hardly noted these days. But once you started curtailing freedoms at this level, you are on a slippery path. If one's activities raise the risk of cost to society where will it end? Banning horse racing, mountaineering, cycling, motoring or other risky activities that easily lead to death or life changing injuries?

The most un-selfish thing a human can do is help reduce the burden of human over-population by not bringing children into the world. Paradoxically not breeding is the most likely way to prevent human extinction. This may reduce the terrible state of extinctions in other life forms as well. Many humans will breed in any case so if a large proportion abstained then the population would start to approach a sustainable level again over time.

Just a few thoughts from a world weary person.

Best wishes from George

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    Dozey and deebster like this.
  16. Cereal Killer

I quite like the idea of culling the human species...

17. George J

George J Herefordshire member

Dear CK,

We are the only species that is not limited by natural means given our harnessing of industry to use natural resources at un-sustainable levels, so something else is needed.

Best wishes from George

18. Bob McC

Not noticed climate change then?
    It’ll seriously curtail our numbers.

19. Cereal Killer

20. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

George, thank you for your reply. I think the issue is bigger than you describe, but something of a distraction for this thread, so perhaps we can just agree to disagree on this?

Regards

Steve

George J likes this.