1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Big changes in your lifetime?

Discussion in 'off topic' started by The Far North, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Big Tabs

Big Tabs hearing problems

No offence, just couldn't make out the meaning.
    For information: I worked on wards with duvets in use and the old-fashioned sheets and bedspreads, counterpanes etc. If I remember correctly, the duvets were used on psychiatric wards. Many of the long-stay units I worked on encouraged people to bring their own pillows/duvets in. In Russia I believe there is no choice - bring your own sheets (and food) in.
    I prefer flat bedsheets, fitted sheets are rubbish, I can never get them tight enough. Jeez, I must have made up thousands of beds. Pillowcase opening away from the door/entrance of course! (old nurse regime)

Jamie likes this.
  2. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

“Fitted bloody sheets!
    I’ve blown my nose on it twice.”
    Victor Meldrew in One Foot in The Grave

Summed them up perfectly for me.

3. Bob McC

What a ridiculous response.
    Getting rid of childhood scourges like polio, diphtheria and TB were not consumerist choices.
    Making the working environment health so that it doesn’t lead to an early death is not a consumerist argument.
    Keeping more children alive and healthy certainly is a philosophy of life.

4. Bob McC

A perfect picture of Burnage Grammar School circa 1963-68.

5. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

The school I went to from 67-74 had all of those. I seem to remember we had a pickled human embryo in the biology storeroom.

6. Bob McC

The fun we had with Bunsen burners too!

7. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

I fondly remember a time when Alf Garnet was a subject of comic derision and not a role model... ah the good old pre Brexit days...

8. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

And mercury.

9. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

My father and mother both lost three siblings in childhood/early teens to what are now easily preventable diseases, so it's not just about hobbling on beyond 65 (though I hope to manage a few more years).

10. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

As for changes in my lifetime: more fat kids. There was one fat lad in my class in primary school, and two in my class in secondary school (none of them was me). I blame Gregg's meself.

11. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

The death of boredom. I kind of miss it.

12. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

Nostalgia.
    Ain't what it used to be.

13. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

Yep. It's a thing of the past.

14. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

It never was.

15. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

pretty much like the dump of an nhs hospital my MiL was in before they moved her to a hospice. Then they decided a nursing home was what she needed

16. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

if so, then it's a really banal one -- the sort of thing a beauty pageant contestant would declare as a life goal, alongside one day owning her own nail salon.