1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Billy Bragg...

Discussion in 'music' started by Mr Cat, Feb 15, 2019.

1. Engels

Engels pfm Member

No, No I can't have that

"I look like Robert De Niro and drive a Mitsubushi Pajero" is one the best lines ever...

As others have said Billy is doing 3 night stints in the UK later this year, two gigs retrospective early album material only and one all the hits! Me with friends and family are going as a gang to the final night in Bristol.

He is great live - always enjoy singing along with him and listening to his between song banter

Mr Cat likes this.
  2. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

I seem to remember someone, (maybe Phil jupitus?) doing a comedy version of sexuality called beastiality. Always worth a chuckle. So that makes the original ok with me.

3. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

He also had 'relations with girls from many nations', it is terrible

4. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Phil Jupitus, started out as Porkie the Poet I understand. A very unfunny man mostly unemployed since the demise of the irritating music quiz.

5. Colonel_Mad

Colonel_Mad pfm Member

One of those comedians I have literally never even smiled at anything I've heard them say. Along with John Bishop and Michael McIntyre.

He does have a rather special collection of every cover variant of Ian Dury's 'Do It Yourself' though, so I'll let him off.

[​IMG]

ff1d1l and gavreid like this.
  6. Engels

Engels pfm Member

What...?!? Phil is a regular on QI for example and still v funny on there

7. Colonel_Mad

Colonel_Mad pfm Member

Guess we're all different. Seen him on QI a lot. Still don't find him funny.

8. Weekender

Weekender pfm Member

He makes my Mrs's skin crawl.

9. Engels

Engels pfm Member

The gag about hitting the Pope's ring with a hammer being what happens when he forgets his safe word that caused Sandi to high-five him... for example

10. Spiderous

Spiderous pfm Member

It’s a song of its time and whilst it does handle the subject matter in a bit of a ham-fisted way at at times, no song that references Red Star Belgrade could ever be considered one of the worst songs of all time (imho).

I thing BB is one of England’s greatest songwriters.

11. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Well we will never agree on this, you would have to really stretch the definition of greatest; he could possibly make the top 100;)

12. deebster

deebster pfm Member

#21 Mitsubishi Zero wasn't it?

Although seeing him live around that time he changed it to 'I look like Boris Becker, on the side of a double decker'

As with Leonard Cohen, a lot more humour in the guy than some reports would have you believe.

And Workers Playtime is a dream of an LP, especially the last 4 songs

13. gavreid

gavreid pfm Member

I remember a radio 1 in concert, 'where the question on everyone's lips is who paid Arthur Scargill's fine', thinking he'd sound fantastic with a band, as he played A13 with Wiggy. Workers Playtime is the fruition of that for me - Great Leap Forwards is a masterpiece

14. 24ggaarryy

24ggaarryy Active Member

Absolutely agree, unbearable on QI. Smug about sums it up for me.

Big Tabs likes this.
  15. Engels

Engels pfm Member

#31 - he has rewritten the lyric to update the car make to an SUV

16. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

...and temporarily replaced the late Ian Dury as lead singer with The Blockheads for a while!

17. irons1965

irons1965 pfm Member

'The Home Front' last track on Talking With The Taxman About Poetry is one of my favourite songs ever - Never fails to put a lump in my throat that one.

18. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Anyone else from oop north like me find themselves putting on a darn sarf accent, 'innit, geezer, do what? when singing along with Bragg after a few beers?:D

19. sq225917

sq225917 situation engineer

No, you traitor.

Engels likes this.