1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Blatant copy

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by chiily, Aug 3, 2019.

1. steveinspain

steveinspain pfm Member

Has anyone here ever heard any of these clone amps or whatever?
    If so, how do they compare to the real item?
    One 'hears' about stuff like safety issues, reliability and servicing but I've never met anyone who actually bought one and just wondered if it was money well spent or a bad decision.
    I did buy a few Rolex watches many years ago in Bali which all worked perfectly till the batteries ran out but that's about the limit of my experience of clones..

2. Martyn Miles

Martyn Miles pfm Member

As a Quad 34 owner, I was horrified when I saw this monstrosity.
    I avoid Chinese electronics and would never buy a modern ‘Quad’ amplifier.

3. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Talking generically here and not about any specific amplifier but it is certainly possible to build clones which are as good as or better than the real thing but, for the average DIY'er, it's a minefield and good results are unlikely.
    You need to get just the PCB/'s and then obtain all your own components from known good quality trusted suppliers, NOT from ebay or similar. Expect to pay many times the price for pukka parts of good provenance in comparison to likely fakes on ebay...
    You will also need the experience and knowledge to be able to assemble it all correctly and avoid common mistakes like causing earth loops etc etc.

4. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I bought one of the Chinese clone EAR 834 MM/MC phono pre-amps from AliExpress and out of the box it was unusable with a _very_ obvious issue with mains hum. That, together with a dangerous earthing issue, was fixed by Jez - @Arkless Electronics - and I'm now more than happy with it.

So my advice would be to be prepared to spend extra money if you do buy something. Of course that may not prove to be necessary.

Mike P and Arkless Electronics like this.
  5. steveinspain

steveinspain pfm Member

I'm not thinking of buying anything as I've bought an entire hifi in the last few months and can only afford a few of Tony's cd's now..
    It was just out of curiosity.
    I know nothing at all about electronics and wouldn't dream of anything more complex than maybe assembling a pair of kit speakers.
    However, given that so much electronic gear is made in China I kind of assume that there must be someone out there happy to copy a proven design using slightly-better-than-cheap components and sell it here at a price midway between cheap and genuine..