1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Blood Donation.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by George J, Mar 23, 2020.

1. George J

George J Herefordshire member

Amid the the COVID 19 situation, and the News being so gloomy, I also read that blood donations are down 15%.

I am now a registered donor. First appointment on First of May.

Apparently you can donate even if you have had COVID 19, provided you have a clear fortnight after the fever.

Do something marvellous for people and sign up as well if you can. It is really easy to do.

Best wishes from George

2. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

George
    Unless you have been hospitalised no one knows who has had covid 19.
    Indeed a donor could be harbouring the illness and be asymptomatic as they give blood.
    Very risky indeed.

3. George J

Absolutely. But the guidance is clear, and if that changes before I first give blood then no doubt actions will change.

Read the BBC article, blood supplies have remained good, but will not unless the current reduction is made up.

Personally I would rather not receive blood, but some people need it regularly to survive, quite apart from emergencies.

Best wishes from George

4. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

People who have had it and clear a couple of weeks are the safest donors now

5. cpg

cpg pfm Member

One of my lasting memories is going to the blood donor station (used to give blood twice a year) about a year after I had been sucessfully treated for cancer. It was a couple of years after the height of the HIV crisis.
    You fill in the illnesses form correctly and sit in the queue after having the initial HIV antibody test, about 20 minutes later my name was called "please go to the doctor for consultation". Everyone, I mean everyone, stared at me and tried to move a yard back, I was treated as if I had some really nasty infection.
    Anyway, the doctor merely informed me that I couldn't give blood anymore as I had had cancer and was was not allowed to donate anymore.
    Once more back out in front of all the waiting donors to collect my coat, lots of very strange looks, etc as I walked out!

So I agree with George J, go and donate blood, but be prepared for strange stares if you have had any illnesses in the last couple of weeks.

6. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

I still cannot give blood because I lived in the UK in the 80s, possible BSE exposure.

7. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I'm the same for France and Ireland, they refuse to take it. Italy have no complaints.

8. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.

My treatment for haemochromatosis is to go regularly (now down to once a month) for a venesection, where they extract a pint of my blood, then throw it away. This has always seemed an unnecessary waste to us sufferers of the disorder, because although our blood might have an excess of iron (not always the case), for folks with a normal metabolism this is excreted by normal means. I was told by one of the nurses that it's more to do with internal politics with the transfusion service. Anyway, at 70 I'm now too old to be a donor.

9. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

It is important that donors keep donating if they are able and safe. While the demand for blood is probably reduced due the reduced number of planned operations etc, blood has a use by date and stocks need to be replenished.

I was previously a donor, my blood is no longer accepted due to my current medication. That medication probably means I'm on list of people who need to isolate for 12 weeks.

10. chartz

chartz pfm Member

I’d been a donor since I was 18, until I had a stroke three years ago. Now they won’t have my blood.
    Very frustrating.

11. mandryka

mandryka pfm Member

Holland has decided to test all blood donors for COVID 19, in order to get a measure of the spread of the disease in the population.

12. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Even if they don't use your blood as actual blood they rework it into plasma and various other bits. This is what happens to the end of life stuff, so it's not wasted. I once considered working for the Blood Products Laboratory, but the pay rates were pitiful for what they wanted. The basic lab technicians in our food factories were getting the same.

13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Don't understand this. By inference, any U.K. born and resident citizen after the seventies is excluded from giving blood? Surely not. Neither can I see any connection possible with mad cow disease; scary at the time but ultimately comparatively small beer.

14. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Staying alert

I think David lives outside the UK. There are, IIRC, still countries that won't accept blood from UK citizens, for the reasons he suggests. I think it goes to the risk that prions may take decades to cause symptoms, so can be lurking undetected but create a long-term risk factor that can't be mitigated.

15. chartz

chartz pfm Member

I too was unable to give my blood because I lived in England for a year (89-90) but I was just banned for a few years after that.

16. seagull

seagull Seabird flavour member

I used to give blood but had to stop when I was diagnosed with Atrial Fibrillation. Any athlete unlucky to get my donation would probably get a ban for using beta-blockers...

17. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Of course BSE never happened in other countries, honest.....

18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

You can give blood in the UK,but anyone who liver in the UK in the 90s, dates I'm not sure about, will be turned away in France and Ireland. I know at first hand. Most recently a year ago in Ireland.

19. SteveT

SteveT pfm Member

I used to be a regular donor until two major brushes with cancer put an end to it.

20. George J

Well it happened. I made my maiden donation this afternoon.

For those worried about donated blood being safe, the printed notes made it clear how much testing is carried out before it is released for use in helping others live. Also they WILL get back to the donor if there is something wrong ...

I was surprised by the distinctly probing interview prior to the needle going in. I have a non-infectious [mechanical] disease with my eyes, called CSR [Central Serous Retinopathy] which is a detachment of the retina with blood serum lifting it. It has two known causes, being steroid abuse [innocent, by any count] or stress, which I do for living. Untreatable as it goes ...

Apparently no risk to anyone else, but giving blood during an episode [it its a chronic illness] would do a me a power of no good!

And there was me saying no disease!

Best wishes, keep safe, and give blood [it is short just now because people are scared], George

PS: The nurse said I had the veins of horse! I commented that it must be Thoroughbred Horse! Smiles all round. Apparently it is average to take take seven minutes. Mine lasted two!

Big Tabs, deanf, Snufkin and 5 others like this.