1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW run flat alternatives

Discussion in 'off topic' started by stevec67, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

Ok. My (real world) experience is obviously different.

I bought the tyres (and wheels) as a set of winters. Used to swap them around after the winter had finished (remember when we used to have a proper winter?)

They are more like all season tyres though. Brilliant in the wet. Not too shabby in the dry. I don't drive like a lunatic though. Which may explain why I'm still on the original discs and pads after 38,000 miles and 12 years of ownership.

2. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

And. Apart from a new battery last year (11 years!) and fluids and filters, this car has cost me nothing in repair bills.

Run flat tyres are not the devil some people make them out to be.

3. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

The tyres are responsible for all this? Impressed!

4. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

No. The actual real world owner experience is.

Care to share yours?

5. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

After 250k on RFTs I’ve stuck with them for longer than some. For myself it’s the harshness over coarse UK road surfaces and that hard initial bump over rough roads that finally wore me down. I’d have continued with them with my latest car but I had the option to delete them.

6. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

250,000 miles.

Did I read that right?

7. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

Not the same set! 330i vert, 335i vert, X3 30D, X3 35D. Several sets...

What I meant was that many people ditch them after the first set whereas I didn’t as those cars were leased.

8. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

So, you're a company car driver / salesman type who drives Starship mileage to make a living. OK. No problem.

The point I was trying to make is that Run Flats Are good for long term storage.

They DO NOT flatten out or end up as threepenny bits.

Well , after 5 years, mine haven't at least.

9. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

Not really that type of usage....I needed to drive from Cheshire to our Reading HQ often, also St Andrews for our son at uni and near London for our daughter. Then there’s holidays in France. 20k to 25k per year isn’t sales type mileage...it’s higher than the typical 8k to 12k but not that unusual.

If the car had been standing for a couple of weeks in cold weather...I found they vibrated until I got them up to a good temp and drove them for about 50 miles. All the cars were msports so stiff suspension except the 35D which had adaptive dampers. Stiff suspension will make the issue more noticeable.

Not company cars either though the leases were through a company arrangement but they were personal leases.

10. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

Hmm. MSports suspension and run flats. Not a good idea. I agree.

I love the little 1 series. Bought my first one in Dec 2004 - it had an iPod input - the first of its kind. And that's why I bought it. First car I ever bought brand new. And I've stuck with it ever since.

The 123d I have at the moment could have been hewn from a rock. It's been such a good car I can't bear to scrap it (apart from it being the most powerful 4 pot Diesel engine in the world)

Some people tune these to 300BHP but I'm quite happy having a little hatchback with more poke than a Cosworth Sierra - when I go to the tip , or the post office.

11. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

Comparing performance back to older cars results in surprises. My current X3 is quicker than a Lamborghini Countach. The Cossie was such an icon back in the day too.

12. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

You might think so, but not so in practice - it's liquid enough that once rolling much above about walking pace the stuff spreads out evenly thanks to mv^2/r

:)

stevec67 likes this.
  13. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

'faster on paper' has no relation to which I'd rather drive; it's such a spurious choice.
    blunt force trauma, or involvement = a totally different sort of discussion, purely about driving preferences / what you find rewarding in driving a car: and that's a wide-open spectrum

14. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

For sure...I loved my MGB, you had to really drive it, it had feel though ultimately vs hot hatches of the time it was so slow in straight line or around corners. You can’t compare cars from different eras, they are so much more sophisticated now and suits our current conditions (well..pre C-19 and forgetting about potholes). I hugely enjoyed the McLaren 650S I drove at Millbrook but was frustrated to be limited to 175mph.

15. Aethelist

Aethelist pfm Member

One thing that sticks in my mind from an earlier age was the time I was pootling back home from work in my 1.4 company Astra and some guy was coming down a ramped slip road to join the motorway. I was doing around 100mph flat out in the inside lane (it was early morn - I worked shifts in those days - nobody around - perfectly safe) So I flashed my headlights to let him know I'd seen him and was preparing to move over into the middle. That car just then bogged down at the rear, took off and left me for dead. I always wanted to experience being able to do that. Was a Ford Cosworth Sierra. Whale Tail.

I've since done it actually. And It's a nice feeling.

Snufkin likes this.
  16. MartinC

MartinC pfm Member

I had Pirelli run flats on my 328 (with MSport suspension) and they were pretty bone jarring on our abysmal roads. Toyed with the idea of going non run flats as they are a bit less expensive, but am thinking of selling the vehicle so thought non RF's might lessen the resale so I fitted Bridgestone Driveguards. Far better ride that he Pirellis, perhaps the handling isn't quite as good (given that they are M&S rated as opposed to the summer only Pirellis), and they don't look as good, but I don't regret the move, and price was far more reasonable.

17. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

To answer the OP - just buy:

1. Tyres, non rft similar to the ones already fitted. An of the tyre websites will offer tyres to suit once you enter the registration number.
    2. A tin of goop of your choice in the boot
    3. A decent subscription to the AA.

If you get a puncture, call the AA first and let the nice chap handle it. The goop is for super emergency only.
    I think I have had no more than 2 puncures in the last 200,000 miles.

jtrade and JezmondTutu like this.
  18. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

I've never had a blow-out - thank goodness. Most of the tyre punctures I've experienced have been caused by a nail or screw. Those punctures leak fairly slowly. The last puncture happened to OEM RFT on my F31. The right rear tyre had lost 2psi before the TPMS alarm was triggered. I don't bother with RFT these days. A portable compressor and a tube of goop is all I carry because:

1. A slow leak can be topped up every hour or so of driving without goop, so RFT is no advantage
    2. A fast leak can be temporarily sealed with goop to get me home, so better than the 50km range and 80km/h speed limit of RFT
    3. A blow out will require tow/flatbed assistance, and RFT won't help.

19. JezmondTutu

JezmondTutu pfm Member

My BMW 535D MSport Touring came with 18” wheels on run flats and reviews at the time criticised it’s ride quality.

I have 19”s with no run flats and the ride is superb. I do have a spare wheel (odd?), however have had many cars with no spare and a can of Tyre Weld. Five Elise’s, a Cerbera and a Volvo 850R that I ran on LPG with a donut tank. Only had a puncture once with the Volvo which was a slit so Tyre Weld didn’t fix it. Was recovered on the M40 to the biggest Tyre Supplier in the UK - bonus!

20. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Ride quality in 5 series M series is a lot better than the 3 I had before. The types are not low profile though.