1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW run flat alternatives

Discussion in 'off topic' started by stevec67, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Grenadier_45

Grenadier_45 pfm Member

John Cadogan is always worth a watch for stuff like this. If you have no spare and no space for a spare, and the tyre is shredded, then it’s going to be a call to a breakdown service anyway. Otherwise, this seems better than goop:

2. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

Bought a set of sports tyers a couple of weeks ago . Did a lot of research before buying on performance wet/dry/ breaking/ road noise. There are many good tyers out there. I went with the new to market Continental FR Sportcontact which edged most other sports tyers. Road roar is quiet handling in wet and dry as good as I read. Not cheap but buying sports tyers never is.

3. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

I disagree - at least in my experience.

They are ok on well made roads such as the occasional good motorway on the continent but they are shite on the UK's roads. Their tram lining and hard ride is horrendous plus they **** your suspension which causes big bills.

Just buy the non run flat version of the same tyre and you won't believe the difference - plus you'll save yourself some cash.

Ray

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  4. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

This thread does rather underline the absurdity of some forms of "progress." Were we not all quite happy with a nice wheel well under the boot? When one took a trip one just took what luggage would fit, and in 50 years of driving I've never felt a crying need for an extra 3 cubic feet.

5. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

The problem is that boots are often now not configured to take a spare wheel and jack. Also, wheels can be so big and fronts/rears different sizes too - this means a space-saver is the only option, these are quite compromised anyway.

6. PaulMB

PaulMB pfm Member

Yes, good points. My 1987 911 has tyres about the same size as my wife's Polo! And the 911 has a space-saver because front/back are different.