1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW Z4m - opinions

Discussion in 'off topic' started by andyoz, Sep 24, 2019.

1. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

I drove one when they first came out (neighbour was BMW dealer). It was a nice scary device as any M car should be...

I'm in mid life crisis mode and hankering to buy one (Coupe version) to park some cash somewhere other than a bank. I have garage for it...Merc e350 estate is my daily.

Thoughts any BMW experts?

Not interested in the 3.0si as it's not as hard core and has electric steering.

Always liked the 350z too but it's the same road tax and insurance as Z4m without the slight rarity...

2. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

budget?

3. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

I'd put less than 5000 miles a year on it. Driving it needs to be an Event!

4. gintonic

Porsche

5. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

Porsche.
    Why buy a wannabee when you could have the real thing?

6. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Lotus.
    Get a proper drive.

kennyh likes this.
  7. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

Ok, as you’re doing under 5k miles a year, a Lotus could be a fun way to go.
    If you do want to use it more frequently (& not just for an “event”), then Porsche.

clivem2 likes this.
  8. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Z4m nah.

Z3M breadvan. Now you’re taking.

Hoopsontoast likes this.
  9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

If you only drive it as an "event" then you may end up doing less than 1k miles a year. When I've done this with a car that's basically a toy it becomes hard to justify the space in the garage, the insurance and tax costs, and the rest. Go for it, but be prepared to spend a decent sum on something that you don't use .much and have a "what's the point?" moment after a couple of years.

SteveS1, Whaleblue and Snufkin like this.
  10. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Porsche, yes I've been waivering on that.

Neighbour has 2007 Caymen S. I must try to blag a drive.

Only issue is potential big surprise repair bill. Z4M M3 engine, clutch etc is just easier to work on.

Darren likes this.
  11. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Yes, used to have a tricked up Starion back in early 90's so am prepared for that

Rug Doc likes this.
  12. gintonic

I've driven a few Z4Ms some Z3s and they are totally unexciting. My 5.5l V8 AMG merc was way more interesting, and that was only good in a straight line.

I advise you to blag a drive of your neighbours Cayman. Hopefully it is an S or GTS with a PDK box, and it'll make you grin

13. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I had a roadster, loved it BUT, they’re a hard ride and you have to rev them out to really get them going... which can draw attention... but they are fun, and very pretty imo.

911 is a better car all round if I’m honest but a good, and pretty one will cost you more than a Z4m.

14. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Check their prices!

15. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Yes, an S.

I like the look of SLK55 but it's an auto and it's Merc so a bit too comfy.

Here in NI we've some seriously isolated roads for fun.

gintonic and linnfomaniac83 like this.
  16. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Yeah I know! I was just looking!!

Had a mate who sold one of these for £15k. He also sold a 993 turbo a few Tears later for £50k. ouch.

17. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

Love both to be fair, my uncle has a Z3m coupe, it’s more edgy than the Z4 and as such, is more fun at lower speeds... hasn’t stopped him from picking up a few points on his license (something I’ve never done)... but then he does live in north wales.

Chris Cooke and Rug Doc like this.
  18. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Love to but in Nth Ireland any support wouid be a nightmare.

19. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

This car is cool, if not as cool as the Z3 version. Hardly any of them around.

Porsches are like bumholes. Everyone's got one. Bumholes mostly drive them too.

Lol.

20. gintonic

no its not funny in any way shape or form. You are offensive in your narrative, a nasty piece of work - why do you feel the need to troll threads a ruin threads started in good faith by others.