1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW Z4m - opinions

Discussion in 'off topic' started by andyoz, Sep 24, 2019.

1. myles

myles Intentionally left blank

VX220 turbo, or if you want something a bit....better, then go for a VX220 supercharged. Neither will help to save your licence unfortunately.

2. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

It just seems like cheating to me - leave the 4wd stuff to Audi fanboys etc :)

3. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Yes, we went though the whole VX220 thing earlier in the thread.
    I decided they were basically overpriced.

I know of a lad that bought the cheapest he could find and has it supercharged. He told me he'll be buying a Cayman later this year.

4. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

But the steering on the 4 wheel drives is ruined. That’s a large part of the joy in a great sportscar.

5. myles

It depends what you want from a car. It's overpriced if you want comfort and performance but is right on the money if you want 'seat of the pants, no frills, cornering powers equal to just about anything' value.
    I daresay your friend isn't buying the Cayman for an increase in focused driving experience.

6. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

I know what you're saying but I needed a car I could razz up in the mountains but also one that I could do 200miles in too.
    We took mine on a 550 mile 2 day Irish road rally and I was shocked how fresh we felt after it. Porsche really have that part of the market nailed. 100 cars in it and was refreshing to see younger lads in their £5k Lexus and BMW's totally enjoying them to their limits.

Now a VX220 at less than £5k might be a different matter (which good examples were at one stage)

[​IMG]

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  7. myles

I'll feed back how a VX is over 220 miles when this is all over - I need to drive mine to my new house. It'll be horrible though.

I promise you good examples of VX220s were never at 5k, unless someone needed quick money to pay off Russian gangsters. Especially as the equivalent Elise hasn't been below 10k (good example).

8. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I've driven a Caterham 7 400 miles in a day. It was tough, but not impossible. Earplugs essential. 200+ miles a couple of times. Just snuggle down as best you can and blat along.

myles likes this.
  9. myles

I found carpets and either a lined hardtop or soft top liner reduces noise in the VX. The 7 is another cup of tea altogether, but I'd have one in a heartbeat!

10. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

True, probably not the best example at £5k but they were there.
    I passed up on this nice one near me last autumn - it was north of £10k...£12k I think.

[​IMG]

11. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Carpets? Lined soft top? What are they?

12. christray

christray pfm Member

I had a vx 220 with silly bits on it, massive fun roading holding tremendous but christ it was loud and ****ing uncomfortable. Obviously the 220 vxr is the one to look for, brother in the states has a supercharged elise can only think that is particularly scary.

13. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

It's nice to chat about cars seeing as we can't drive them ATM.

14. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

Everyone seems to have missed this beauty, photobombing the Renault:

[​IMG]

15. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

No, I saw it. Best disregarded these days. I did watch one crash spectacularly at a 1980s race meet once. The driver was unhurt, but the car was distinctly "Spares or Repairs" afterwards.

16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I took mine to the tyre shop and supermarket yesterday. I have a trip to the factory at some point in the next week. It's quite exciting.

17. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

I plan to sneak out to the hills soon....

18. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I've got a letter I can print out in case I get stopped! Woo hoo!

19. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Watch out for the random middle aged cyclists. They now have it in their heads that there are no cars.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020 at 10:30 PM
  20. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

Do they? I don’t.
    Neither do the cyclists I’ve seen today.

Stuart Frazer likes this.