1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

BMW Z4m - opinions

Discussion in 'off topic' started by andyoz, Sep 24, 2019.

1. myles

myles Intentionally left blank

Agreed. After our chat I went out and stripped some of the crap off the car that the last owner deemed fit to...well, fit! Also a new set of HIDs as one had gone; not surprising judging by the state of them.
    Next, splitter and skirts that are destined for the bin. The bolts used to secure them have been sikaflexed, which is nice!

2. myles

Ha ha yeah! They are the difference between a manageable long drive and hell on earth.

3. myles

Mine is noisy because of the supercharger but it's an acceptable noise to my ears.

4. christray

christray pfm Member

Think the one I owned had some wacky sports exhaust you could here me coming miles away lol

5. myles

Some are better than others; I have a Milltek (not from my own wallet); yours sounds like a VSE - it's just a bit of pipe really with huge engine noise amplifying abilities.

6. christray

christray pfm Member

It was a milltek. People's perceptions of loud I suppose.
    Great drive I thought, enjoy.

7. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

In the US this car was sold as the "Plymouth Cricket" and was best disregarded even in the early 1970s. They began rusting on the dealer's lot.

8. myles

The standard box is pretty good for quietness but it's made from the most rust attractive metal known to man. I think the VSE would have destroyed your hearing.

9. Dan K

Dan K pfm Member

Bristol is different. I went for a run this evening and saw 4 with no lights at all. One went straight through the lights, to be fair there was nothing else on the street.

My point was just to keep good SA if you fancied a 'hoon' on the way back from the food run.

Back to the fun car talk.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  10. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Nicely specc'd Cayman S here if the price softens a good bit. Those lightweight Spyder wheels are worth a bit and its got PSE.

It's not a true Black Edition though...but seems to have Interesting factory black bits optioned.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202003188571001?atmobcid=soc3

The thing is you can buy an early BMW M2 for the similar money that's half as old. Lots of competition now in the £20-30k bracket.

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/202002097121247?atmobcid=soc3

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 12:23 AM
  11. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

12. myles

Look at other premium marques; Aston Martin V8 Vantages of 06/08 age. I'm seeing reports of them tumbling well into the 15-20k area...

13. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

^ Brings to mind the old quip about the definition of an extreme optimist being someone who thinks he could afford to run a second-hand Aston Martin.. :)

myles, Snufkin and Tony Lockhart like this.
  14. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

15. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020 at 11:49 AM
  16. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

sean99 and Yank like this.
  17. myles

Not me - I've seen others bitten by secondhand AMs.

18. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

Totally agree...

Crayon...what's that !!!

I did read a theory that after the 2008 crash, alot more white, black, silver cars were ordered as razzing around in a brightly colored sports car wasn't the thing to be seen to be doing in recession times.

19. andyoz

andyoz pfm Member

This guys rough video captures some of the sound and feel of the car. He's on public road so isn't going 9/10ths in it as there's alot more traction than he's showing in corners. You can hear the induction growl and then when he's more off throttle there's just the whole mechanical whine and general sounds that are designed out of cars now.

His comment about shifter is correct - they can be upgraded. The stock one just makes you work a bit harder and I like that.

20. -alan-

-alan- pfm Member

Indeed :)

Gratuitous exige shot.

[​IMG]

I think we were missing a couple that day..

[​IMG]