1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Boris addressing the nation 5pm tomorrow

Discussion in 'off topic' started by I.D.C., Mar 18, 2020.

1. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

Well, midnight's come and gone and they still haven't lowered the dome. Disappointing.

Seeker_UK likes this.
  2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

That’s over 100 miles to guard. These delirious pensioners wont just try to drive out, they’ll be hiding in verges waiting to cross on foot at night.

3. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Bearing in mind that Netflix currently consumes est 20% global bandwidth and power and yottube plus google following close behind, with more and more folk home, internet could become challenge.

Your isp May meter bandwidth (they already do) in high traffic times.

But, the web doesn’t really have an on/off switch.

4. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

Curses!! For at least a month I have been planning..

I bought sanitiser, some canned food and extra pasta 4 weeks ago. No shelf clearing.. just a few bits. Though to be fair.. I forgot bog paper..

3 weeks ago I bought paint an' stuff for decorating in the long hours of confinement.. and some flower seeds for the lighter moments. (if any)

2 weeks ago I secured a full tank of fuel for an escape to the hills if necessary.

1 week ago on my last tentative visit to a shop.. I bought brandy and wine.. And a cauliflower..

30 mins ago I ordered a considerable quantity of wine and some spirits from Virgin Wines, for delivery Friday.

I may have got the sequencing of my priorities wrong..:(

Covkxw, tqineil and Monitor Gold 10 like this.
  5. Monitor Gold 10

Monitor Gold 10 pfm Member

Also, parts of Kent, Berkshire, Surrey and Essex would probably present some administrative challenges.

6. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

One question on 'Coronavirus.. We Are All Going To Die' (BBC1 7:30 last night) amounted to 'How much longer do we have to deal with these restrictions?'

FFS!!! Three days and half the population is going into a decline..

Ye Gods!!!

I'm scared shitless of this virus.. but I'm not scared of twenty minutes without a bag of crisps, or having to go a whole day without footy.. or ..heaven forfend.. having to wipe my arse on newspaper, or even not at all and jumping into the shower instead.

Last night my youngest was quite panicky as she commenced home working and the reality kicked in. From her perspective this is the biggest challenge to 'normal life' she has ever seen.

I explained that this was probably the biggest thing I'd had to deal with in my 71 years.. but that it was pretty small beer c.f. what my Grandparents dealt with (WW1, Spanish Flu, Great Depression) and my parents, who were kids in the Great Depression, then dealt with WW2, post war rationing etc. I omitted my customary 45 minute rant about Thatcher...

What is clear to me is that no amount of Flag Waving, jingoistic 'British Exceptionalism' is going to solve this. We need calm, international and community cooperation, an end to the selfishness of panic buying, etc. Sadly.. Selfishness is what we have been taught since 1979.

palindrome, Covkxw, deebster and 9 others like this.
  7. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

At last, an affirmative action plan...

[​IMG]

Roger Adams likes this.
  8. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Partial closure of the tube announced.
    From Friday the Waterloo and City lines will close completely according to Sky news.

9. Bob McC

20000 army reservists put on notice of mobilisation being reported on Sky news.

10. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

You'll get into the swing of it. Every night at 8pm in Strasbourg, people hang out their windows, start clapping, shouting, banging pans on the wall for about ten minutes.

Lots of fun stuff to do.

11. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I think you're mistaken, that is the sound of a 1000 Naim systems being fired up.

12. lagavullin10y

lagavullin10y pfm Member

I feel this coming:

'We shall no go to the beaches, we shall not go to the landing grounds, we shall not go in the fields and the streets, we shall not to the hills, we shall never go out anymore.'

13. Bob McC

Netflix are being asked to stop streaming UHD movies.

14. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

link?

15. Bob McC

16. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

17. Seanm

Seanm pfm Member

My decision to largely ignore streaming and instead fill up my living room with expensive bits of plastic has been vindicated.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  18. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

According to Sky News this thread is BS and the government strategy is to keep London and its transport system open as one huge festering Covid 19 petri-dish. London is not going into lockdown.

19. Alex S

Alex S carbon based lifeform

This is not good news for those working from home.

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I can accept standard HD if it keeps the internet working!