1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Boris to appear in court over 350m claim

Discussion in 'off topic' started by clivem2, May 29, 2019.

1. clivem2

clivem2 pfm Member

2. jackbarron

jackbarron Chelsea, London

It has been reported in The Independent. They say a judge has ordered he must go on trial for lying and misleading during the Brexit campaign. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...UXVRZ_pjMb53IOlXuup0Ou-abRFndGpXYKrb6-wK80J34

"A judge summonsed the Conservative MP to appear in court after a member of the public launched a private prosecution over claims that the cost of EU membership was £350m a week.

"District Judge Margot Coleman threw out arguments by Mr Johnson’s lawyers that the case was a “vexatious” attempt to undermine the result of the 2016 referendum.

"A written judgment handed down on Wednesday said: “Having considered all the relevant factors, I am satisfied that this is a proper case to issue the summons as requested for the three offences [of misconduct in a public office].

“The charges are indictable only. This means the proposed defendant will be required to attend this court for a preliminary hearing, and the case will then be sent to the crown court for trial.”

This is great, but it wouldn't surprise me if nothing happens. The establishment tend to look after their own.

Jack

Last edited: May 29, 2019
    MikeMA likes this.
  3. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

Life imprisonment is the maximum penalty. Lets hope

4. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

I think ennoblement is a more likely outcome for people like Johnson.

Stephen

5. clifftaylor

clifftaylor Probably retired!

If "ennoblement" means to make someone a nob, then this has already happened.

6. Joe

Joe pfm Member

It cannot stand as a case. To allow it would open the gates to every politician could be sued for every thing they say.

Party manifestos ?

i.j.russell likes this.
  7. neilmack

neilmack pfm Member

The judge is a moron, and should be sacked for incompetence.

Either that, or the other 658 should be in court too.

martin dawson likes this.
  8. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

BBC One O'clock News is leading on this. It will be wonderful if the case goes to trial and the fat lying fornicator ends up in prison.

jackbarron likes this.
  9. rbrown

rbrown I think therefore I think I am

Where's the evidence for incompetence?

HarryB likes this.
  10. Joe

Joe pfm Member

I am neither a tory or a tory supporter before you start.

It wouldn't be wonderful.

It is hard enough to get anyone of quality to want to volunteer themselves to the awful scrutiny that public office has become. This sort of thing does nothing to improve that situation.

Labour would be just a venerable to these private prosecutions .

We have a free press to point out when politicians are talking shite.

poppop likes this.
  11. christray

christray pfm Member

Surely no one really believed the 350m cobblers, along with anything else that passes from an orifice of any politician. Are we going to waste more taxpayers money!

12. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

His defence was that all the information was in the public domain a casual check would have shown that he was being casual with the actualité, so it’s eveyones fault for not checking. If he ends up in court it’s not going to go well, for he has a record of lying and has been sacked twice for it.

SteveS1 likes this.
  13. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

"This sort of thing" as in not lying your arse off?

I saw this story linked in the one upthread. He's a serial liar and deserves to be clobbered with it.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ling-declare-house-somerset-commons-standards

14. rbrown

rbrown I think therefore I think I am

I'd imagine lots of people believed it. Probably enough to swing the referendum result in favour of leave. I remember a lot of people citing the 350M a week for the NHS as a reason for their decision (including many NHS staff).

HarryB, divedeepdog, Nick_G and 2 others like this.
  15. MikeMA

MikeMA pfm Member

I disagree. I don't see Johnson as anything even remotely approaching "a person of quality" as you put it. He is a serial liar and if he was an ordinary member of the public would very likely be in prison already, given his past nefariou actvities

twotone likes this.
  16. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

No one is above the law. We cannot have political interference in the running of the courts. I’m sure the magistrate who’s referred this up to a higher court will be concerned about having her photograph, details of her family and her address published by certain newspapers, underneath “Enemy of The People”.

17. Mr_Sukebe

Mr_Sukebe pfm Member

The £350m is just the tip of the iceberg of politicians lying to us.
    Hopefully this could be a good test bed that might actually move our MPs towards actually representing us, as against abusing their position for personal gain.

18. Minio

Minio pfm Member

Is there any body that actually believes what a politician says.

Any more than the twaffle you read in some of these threads.

I view it all as polemic or guidance for the underinformed to be looked at both ways.

19. Joe

Joe pfm Member

So... we are to jail all members of the public who lie ?

20. Minio

Minio pfm Member

You would have to be simple to believe a sound bite figure on the side of a bus, surely.

As we all know, it’s not that simple. You have to counter the what we give with what we take.