1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Bosch induction hob problem

Discussion in 'off topic' started by simeon, Dec 27, 2008.

1. simeon

simeon No fixed engagements

Just before Christmas our Bosch induction hob developed a fault. Both left-hand plates have failed. They switch on with the normal audible click then switch off with another click and flash a (lower case) "e" and "1". The right-hand plates work fine. I think there was a power cut before the fault developed. Anyone got any ideas. I've tried the standard IT Crowd switching it off and on again! Bugger all on t'internet.

2. Martin D

Martin D Libertarian Division

Bit odd that 2 plates seem to have an issue, cant really suggest anything at the mo but hope it works out well as we have one!

3. Paul Dimaline

Paul Dimaline 12" round member

A long shot but could the flash be the terminal block arcing? This has just happened with our ceramic hob, a common problem acording to the repair man. Mind you, it should trip the breaker is its arcing enough to flash.

Could be worth whipping the oven out to have a look.

Paul.

4. simeon

Paul, thx there isn't a flash as such, I mean that the display flashes e1, so doubt its arcing

5. Paul Dimaline

Paul Dimaline 12" round member

Display? Thats far too posh for me!!!

6. simeon

Chortle!

7. Markus S

Markus S 41 - 29

Do you have a manual, or perhaps can find online? I would expect the e1 message to be explained there.

8. simeon

You would think so.... Manual makes no reference to this error message or any error beginning with "e", and I've read the entire interweb from start to finish...

9. Lesley

Lesley New Member

The manual for my Bosch Induction hob, model PIE 645 E 01E, includes this instruction for error code e1 in the "What to do before phoning the technical assistance service" section. "Disconnect the hob from the mains, wait a few seconds and then reconnect it. If the symbol continues to appear, contact the technical assistance service". If you contact them, first record the following information "which you will find on the rating plate, found underneath the hob and in the bag with the appliance documentation: E-Nr: FD: " The E number is the product number and the FD number is the production number. They also warn "Never tamper with the inside of the appliance".

10. ClaraBannister

ClaraBannister pfm Member

I just bought a built-in oven for my cottage. My only stipulation, apart from it being white, was that it should contain no electronics whatsoever. No timer or programmer, just two elements plus a grill element and a basic thermostat. It was less than 200 Euros and works superbly. You can keep all your complications - they're just things which can (and will) go wrong.

11. simeon

Ooh, the thread from the dead! After 3 visits from a 'technician' failed to fix it, in the end I bought another one. Anyway, we've moved since then and now have some sort of a posh, French range that runs off gas. I have to say that complicated or not, the induction hob was amazing and the range will be going on the bay soon, to be replaced by yet another induction hob and cooker.

12. garyi

garyi leave blank

Shit the bed simeon, you would take a crap induction over gas?

You must be the first.

13. ClaraBannister

Some people are easily induced. My hob is gas, but it had to be LPG out there, so it runs off two big cylinders with a changeover valve. The trick will be to remember to order a new cylinder after changing over. I'm not a great cook, but even I can see the sdvantages of a gas hob over any other type. Plus, you can light your fag.

14. simeon

No, really. An induction hob is amazing. Our cooker runs on LPG as well and when it runs out we have to eat cereal.

15. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I'm with gary. I've never used an induction hob I like. Flames, now those I can handle. Lots of heat, big flame. Less heat, small flame. Mind you, I don't have to pay for that by messing with cylinders. That's for camping.

16. Paul3

Paul3 pfm Member

I love my (our) induction hob. Clean, and stays clean. If a pan of milk boils over, the surface is cool so it does not burn on, and wipes off easily, while you are cooking. Try that with a gas hob.

17. ClaraBannister

Agreed, but I can envisage absolutely no situation where I might wish to heat up a pan of milk. Bloody awful stuff.

18. ClaraBannister

If you use the large cylinders, they do last a long time when they're just supplying the hob. A small price to pay for having no neighbours, and beautiful views of the Wicklow Hills.

19. garyi

garyi leave blank

Paul, you cannot establish the worth of a hob by how it is to clean.

Without doubt the best cooking method on hob is gas, no argument about it.

Try wok cooking on an induction.

20. simeon

Well now, that's where I'm going wrong. I only have a view of Dartmoor.