1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Boycott knighted - the ramifications.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Andrew C!, Sep 11, 2019 at 8:30 AM.

1. davidjt

davidjt pfm Member

I can't get excited one way or the other about minor honours - but the pensioning off of MPs, party hacks and donors, to the House of Lords at our expense is outrageous, not to mention their meddling in government.

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

For steaming open Arthur Scargill’s mail?

Rob998 and Woodface like this.
  3. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Long before Arthur Scargill was popular, also on the Telecoms side.

4. MVV

MVV pfm Member

Knights are rubbish these days. Most of them don't even have a horse.

Rockmeister and Snufkin like this.
  5. mikeyb

mikeyb pfm Member

I think if I'd punched someone in the face 20 times ( as was reported ) they'd be dead,or at least eating through a straw for the rest of their days.

6. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Youz a real man, yeah!

Bloss

twotone and Rockmeister like this.
  7. TheDecameron

I get you. He intercepted telephonic communications between the Duchess of Argyll and The Headless Man, widely believed to have been Harold MacMillan’s Defence Minister, discussing a felatio coverup?

8. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

Did he work with Tommy Flowers during WWII? (OK, it's a long shot.)

9. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

FFS

10. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

If the objection to honouring professional sportspeople is because 'they were just doing their job', then the same applies to everyone else honoured for 'just doing their job', eg Civil Servants, actors, musicians, special advisers. The whole system is a nonsense.

11. waxkinglyrical

waxkinglyrical pfm Member

That just sucks, how low will these people stoop.

Rockmeister and TheDecameron like this.
  12. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Does the Queen still dish them out? When he goes up to get his and bows his head she should give him a swift uppercut to the chops.

fatmarley likes this.
  13. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

That was part of his defence

kendo likes this.
  14. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

I think the key think about the honours system is that we appear to have run out of worthy people to award them to so in the end we just dish them out to any successful celebrity.

15. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

No. He was seconded to DWS for at least part of the war and spent time in Moscow and Helsinki. More than that nobody now alive knows.

glancaster and TheDecameron like this.
  16. glancaster

glancaster In the silicon vale

Ah, the lost art of keeping your mouth shut.

17. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uk...o-his-innocence-over-domestic-abuse-case.html

Source bias and credibility notwithstanding, some interesting points and facts raised in this 'investigation'.

Hard to know the truth. But. Even if he did do it, he was convicted according ly, a quarter of a century ago(sic), so he has received justice, kept his nose clean, and moved on. Isn't that good enough reform and at the essence of jusstic and corrections?

18. TheDecameron

Did he know Rudolph Abel? Don’t answer that here, instead pm with Elgar's birth date in the affirmative or Percy Grainger’s plimsole size for некорректный.

[​IMG]via Imgflip Meme Generator

Under no circumstances mention any of this to George J.

George J and Barrymagrec like this.
  19. mykel

mykel Fat guy flying.

Yup, and your hand(s) would be pretty much useless, possibly permanently.

That number is BS, unless the blows were of moderate intensity at best.
    Your hands can NOT take that kind of punishment, contrary to what Hollywood shows us.

In a strike to the head with a closed fist you have to remember small bones against large bones. Your hands are only good for 3-4 good hard hits then they are done. This is one reason there are many types of hand strikes in the martial arts - most designed to do damage to one area or type of body structure. Closed fist strikes to most of the head are generally discouraged - there are better soft targets.

Andrew C! and wacko like this.
  20. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Goodness knows how bare knuckle fighters got on then, it could not have been all body shots?

Bloss