1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Boycott knighted - the ramifications.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Andrew C!, Sep 11, 2019 at 8:30 AM.

1. Stunsworth

Stunsworth pfm Member

I could be wrong, but I think I remember reading that they mainly were - which is why the bouts could last so long. I assume noses, since they were relatively soft, were also targeted.

2. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

They went on for far more than twenty plus rounds and there must have been far more than 20 head shots

Bloss

3. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Look at the state of the average boxers hands. I've a few books in the bare knuckle era & seem to recall that body, throat, nose & jaw were targeted.

4. k90tour

k90tour pfm Member

I don't mind the honours system. But I do mind giving knighthoods to young people who have earned a fortune doing things for themselves (sports people) or 'celebrity' TV presenters. I can think of a certain professor of physics who has a CBE for being on TV, whereas there are hundreds more (less camera friendly) who do all the work behind the scenes that are unrecognised. In sport, it all went wrong for me when Kelly Holmes was made a Dame after her Athens Olympics achievements. I thought that was too hasty. They should have waited until she had used her fame to do years of work for society.

jtrade likes this.
  5. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

I thought most of the connections had a glancing element so rarely a full on dead hit. Some of the injuries were tears rather than concussions.

I doubt I could hit someone head on ungloved once without incurring serious damage.

On a related note how could anyone believe in intelligent design who's walked into a bed leg?

6. blossomchris

blossomchris I feel better than James Brown

Targeted, so I would imagine quite a few shots missed and hit harder target areas

bloss

7. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

Like they did with Jimmy Savile.

8. myles

myles Intentionally left blank

What did Savile do at the Athens Olympics?

9. Joe Hutch

Joe Hutch Mate of the bloke

You really, really don't want to know.

10. Woodface

Woodface pfm Member

Probably, they used to have all kinds preparations on the hands but the fights often didn't last long & the bigger bouts were quite infrequent. There is a really good book called 'Bare Fists' by Bob Mee, worth reading:
    https://books.google.co.uk/books/ab...AAIAAJ&source=kp_book_description&redir_esc=y

11. Nic Robinson

Nic Robinson Moderator

It's a bonkers system. The only people who get them have to be nominated...so if you're great and everyone thinks you're great, but don't know how the system works, you'll never get one.

I know of one or two institutions that regularly recommend individual employees. Makes them look good by proxy.

12. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I was hoping I’d have been able to rename this thread ‘knight boycotted’ by now, but apparently not.

13. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Post Brexit Interregnum, ready for the Apocalypse?

Matthew Engel very fair as usual.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/b...elf-absorption-controversy-knighthood-cricket

Of course this is The Guardian, well known far right wing... etc...

14. guey

guey pfm Member

Well, if being a convicted purveyor of domestic violence isn't enough to to stop getting a knighthood, surely breaking the sporting apartheid sanctions should be.

15. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

16. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

The case was as dodgy as the Ched Evans case. The thread on pfm about that one makes interesting reading, some fishies' words now look so stupid...... "It's an outrage that this rapist got a job playing football again blah blah blah".

Frankiesays likes this.
  17. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

18. Swamp Thing

Swamp Thing Post Brexit Interregnum, ready for the Apocalypse?

Well, we should ban the celebration of anyone convicted of crime.

So that's christianity shafted.

19. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

blossomchris likes this.
  20. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Wow, so the judge was not at all impartial, clearly allowing herself to be influenced by his abrasive character. She spends more time commenting on his general conduct than anything else.