1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit= English Nationalism

Discussion in 'off topic' started by TheDecameron, May 13, 2017.

1. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

No, I think you're confusing that with when Max was working for Penguin and rejected JK Rowling's first Harry Potter novel.

2. maxflinn

maxflinn pfm Member

Where are you guys getting the notion from that I changed my mind re Trump?

Pre-election he was the anti-war guy, at least based on what he said, which we all agreed might be bollocks. None of us knew it was.

That's why he was the lesser of two evils to my mind, a shot to nothing from the point of view of someone who sees war as the main factor, because his opponent was a confirmed Neocon warmonger.

It looks like he was talking bollocks, or at least that he's relented to pressure and will allow the Neocons to take over, in which case Clinton may as well be president. At least she'd have been better domestically.

But as I said: pre-election, when it was only he and her with a chance, he had to be the anti-war persons choice.

So I'm not sure what I'm supposed to have changed my mind on.

3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Ah, so you'd still reject JK Rowling's book then? :p

4. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

Most people knew he was talking crap before the election and couldn't be trusted no matter what he said. You, have changed your mind because it is only now you realise that.

5. PsB

PsB Citizen of Nowhere™

This is where we're a bit different, Paul. Contrary to you, I still have some residue of faith in the ability of mankind to evolve in a positive way (despite evidence to the contrary confronting us every day). So I'll occasionally point out something where I think you've got things a bit back to front, in the hope that it may trigger something positive.

6. Paul R

Paul R pfm Member

More alternate reality. The UK popular rejection of the EU is a perfect example of evolution in a positive way. What you mean is 'evolve in my way and I'll ensure that by obstructing change'. Evolution often surprises, which is why establishments suppress their people. Look at evolution being barely suppressed in France, Austria, The Netherlands, by being forced to an extreme that most humans cannot countenance endorsing. And the EU keeps the lid on for another few months.

Except I didn't and haven't.

It remains a waste of time.

Paul

7. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

..white peasants' revolt in the Shires of Little England. Nothing more, nothing less.

8. merlin

merlin Avatar changed - Town names deemed offensive.

Paul,

Have you lost your job and taken to drugs?

9. Philim

Philim pfm Member

Arent those your core labour votes you detest so much Dec? Can't imagine why labour voters feel their current leadership feel like they've deserted them

10. Julf

Julf Facts are our friends

I think I would argue that lack of sufficient (human) evolution is what caused the populist surges that appeal to our lowest base instincts instead of our rational brain.

11. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Set m'people free™.

12. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Complete nonsense. Fantasy economics, creating illusions around cause and effect for the main economic challenges, stirring up racism and anti-immigration sentiment - then giving the choice to the least able to join the dots, does not constitute 'evolution' in any positive way for the majority. The authors and backers will of course do very well from de-regulation, privatisations and a right wing free for all. But the majority will get their arses handed to them and blame everyone else.

13. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Does that 'TM' stand for Theresa May, Dec?

14. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Quite.

15. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Indeed. Ragaman has argued many times that the Brexit vote was, for many, a protest against the status quo, which wasn't working for them. He may be right.

The problem, as I see it, is that those who may have protested in that way seem incapable of assimilating information and using it to draw rational conclusions (and I don't mean conclusions I agree with, just any sort of considered basis for a decision).

They are the sort of people who will have voted Conservative, against their own interests, because Dacre, Murdoch et al told them to. These same people are also the ones who now say (as featured on the BBC a day or two ago) "I like the Labour party's policies, and what it says in the manifesto, but I will be voting for Theresa May, because, well, because Corbyn, and because 'strong and stable'".