1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit next week: give me a positive effect it will have on my daily life

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Colonel_Mad, Jan 23, 2020.

1. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

I’ll imagine in a year or two, even kippers down at the local Spoons having a nostalgic moment about the EU as a Ukrainian person brings them their cod and chips as opposed to a Polish one.

2. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

I don't understand the term a single rated sale?

We were on the flat rate scheme paying 7% and of course the input VAT. But we needed no accountants and no software to help. Since moving into the EU, our accounting costs have gone from 1500 to about 12,000 per year. But turnover only doubled. So we end up in about the same place financially but with a lot of stress and extra work. Times were happier on the flat rate scheme. And I was able to draw the same salary as I am now. Rather, I am unable to draw more since we moved into the EU. Part of the reason is lack of admin integration.

3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Seems to me our two biggest Eurosceptics, EV and Richgilb, are somewhat at cross purposes. EV objects to EU interference where, in his opinion, interference is unwarranted; Rich, on the other hand, objects to a lack of EU interference where, in his opinion, it is warranted.

PsB, Nick_G, kensalriser and 4 others like this.
  4. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Brexit happens on Friday. It is then irrevocable. We may then be in a ‘phoney war’ period when many things stay much the same for the rest of the year, but that doesn’t mean Brexit isn’t happening. Which does undermine your ‘Brexit will never happen’ line a teensy bit.

5. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

Not necessarily. It is quite likely, surely, to end up as a BRINO/BINO?

6. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Well, there is significant overlap in our thinking. Do your job properly or f off is something we probably both are thinking. And they aren't doing their job enough for me. So they can f off.

On a separate topic, we'd make much better margins if more countries left the EU. Eg the Swiss and the Norwegians still pay 99.90 for the product, like EU buyers. We don't do discounts for buyers outside the EU. Hardly anyone does. If another big country left, I'd be eyeing up that 911 right now. If the EU did not exist, I would consider only selling to buyers in other countries and halt sales to in-market buyers. No more VAT to sort out and pay for and no more worrying about VAT inspection etc. Did you know you can buy insurance from accountants to pay for VAT inspection management...wtf!

7. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

OK. I just counted though a few pages and found 26 negatives and no positives (non response for fear of flame could be an issue here..)

So here' your positives:

We all know that two negatives make a positive.

Take the 26 negatives, divide them in two to give 13 negative pairs.

Still with me?

Cool, multiply each negative pair. That can only give 13 positive answers.

Sorted.

Yes Minister

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  8. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

I think ‘no deal’ remains very much a possibility. Especially given Boris’ majority and how he’s stacked the party and Cabinet with right wing nutters.

stephen bennett likes this.
  9. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Such a selfish view of the world. Me, me, me! I mean its only your business and livelihood. Look at some other moaners here who have to face the apocalypse now.

All you really stand to lose is your business, home, livihood etc. Do try to think of the greater good for all. You have been told time and time again here, that these thoughts you are having are just wrong.
    ;)

10. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

@richgilb presumably then, you require more EU competencies in areas currently left to national governments, so the EU can interfere properly?

11. eternumviti

I have maintained since the beginning of this brexit debate that the EU has an executive deficit as well as a democratic one. It is a point that KrisW also made above.

12. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

It all feels a bit like a failure of internal logic, though. They interfere too much except where they don’t interfere enough, and I get to decide which is which.

PsB, ff1d1l and tiggers like this.
  13. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

It's the same as all those foreigners simultaneously stealing our jobs and leaching off our benefits system. Tricky thing this Brexit stuff :D

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  14. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

would have required.....now not obvs.

15. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Several thousand posts earlier, this was what I was told by serious people. My moral compass as an employer of 1 and a newly appointed director is in tact. RSR Moto now pays 5 of us.

Gaycha likes this.
  16. richgilb

richgilb Admonishtrator

Perfect, well done.

Now what shall we talk about?

17. Nero

Nero BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK BLACK

You're right when you say I don't have any B2C comments to offer, save to say your problem exists across any border, not just EU ones. I buy stuff on Amazon, which comes directly from China, judging by the hieroglyphs on the package. I'm not entirely sure where the VAT (sales tax) gets paid if at all, and by whom. I also buy stuff from the States directly, and in theory, I should pay VAT/duty when it arrives at my door. Sometimes, the courier takes the hit, adds a cut, and then holds my package to ransom until it's paid. Sometimes it just plops through my letterbox, and I lay low for a couple of days hoping nothing else happens.

Either way, I can't see how the efforts of the EU can fix this, other than becoming more integrated still and taking over taxation in member states. That, I imagine, would turn EV's Burgundy into acid quite quickly, and I don't think I'd be too comfortable with that either.

Basically, suck it up, or change your business model

18. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Obviously there are no positive effects to brexit! What a waste of internet bandwidth....

Every effort must now be put into getting us back into the EU. Sod the UK public, they've demonstrated that they are thick as pig shit and hence should not even be consulted when we re-join.
    If a party promises to to take us back into the EU immediately upon election and with no referendum then they get my vote.

19. HydeLea

HydeLea pfm Member

Massive positive is that complete and utter t**t who was ever present on parliament square shouting 'Stop Brexit' has finaly done one.

20. eternumviti

I think that measured opinion has it that it's the only way the Euro will survive long term. There will eventually have to be an EU/EZ Treasury, so centralised tax raising and a transfer union, from which can only follow full political union. The EU will then have the executive power that it needs to work properly, and they'll have to dream up some way of making it look properly democratic too.