1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Brexit next week: give me a positive effect it will have on my daily life

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Colonel_Mad, Jan 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kendo

kendo Prussian bot

We're in safe hands...

2. thebigfredc

thebigfredc pfm Member

I admit to being more than a little surprised that the Police north of the border are having problems with the boozers staying open and that death rates due to CV19 are no better there than in parts of the UK.

Demoron had left me with the distinct impression that things would be nigh on perfect with Jimmy Crankie at the helm and responsible for policing and the NHS in Scotland.

Brian likes this.
  3. eternumviti

eternumviti Bloviating Brexiter

I think that the EU does indeed both get in the way, and that there is very little or nothing of actual importance or usefulness that it any longer does.

As the current crisis is usefully showing.

From what I can see, the only thing that it has actually done (we've yet to see whether it will be of any use) is to unleash a vast amount of funny money in an attempt to try to ameliorate the effects of it's own disastrous policy, namely EMU.

4. billo

billo pfm Member

The contrast between 'Them' and 'Us' is staggering:rolleyes:

5. eternumviti

The distinction being, of course, that if our lot f~c~ up, we have the opportunity to sanction them at the ballot box. As they know that, there is a (theoretically) greater chance of them not doing so.

6. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Staying alert

FTFY :p

stevec67 and ff1d1l like this.
  7. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yeah, just like theoretically I can date Kylie. Get real.

8. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Except we can sanction them at the ballot box and you aren’t the last bloke on the planet, so realistically you have no chance at all with Kylie.

eternumviti likes this.
  9. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

The last general election was a perfect example of sanction at the ballot box. A zombie parliament with MPs who thought they knew better than the electorate were handed their P45s.

eternumviti likes this.
  10. eternumviti

I'd be interested to see the working formulae upon which that theory is built.

Um...get real!

11. SteveS1

SteveS1 I heard that, pardon?

Those people may well indeed be proved to have known better than the electorate. Given the results are nowhere near in. What we do have though, is ample demonstration of where the electorate sits on an even more serious knowledge/judgement issue.

12. KrisW

KrisW pfm Member

You can't. Because you're only able to choose between two polar-opposite ideologies. 2019 was a choice between retaining an incompetent centre-right government or getting an incompetent strong-left government instead. There was no option for "I don't want Labour's policies, I just want people who are competent and trustworthy in charge".

Every election, you get offered two flavours of shit, and the only choice you're making is which one disgusts you the least.

Ironically, the only democratically-representative parliamentary elections that English citizens have ever participated in were the ones for the EU Parliament. (Scotland and Wales elect their local assemblies using proportional systems). You might recall that when UKIP was polling at 12.5%, they secured 15% of the UK's EU Parliament seats, and... one single Westminster seat. Democracy indeed.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  13. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

I thought that 'get Brexit done' or not was the choice.

14. Brian

Brian Eating fat, staying slim

Sorry, but you most definitely can. We do so at every General Election and have done for many, many years.

Ahead of the EU referendum, many people supporting EU membership were adding the caveat that the EU needs reform, we should remain part of the EU so we can influence that reform from the inside. I asked here what that reform would look like but nobody ever offered an example. The point is, if there is a school of thought that the EU is in need of reform, why is there no other direction of travel on offer by the EU to the voters in elections?

Even if in the UK, you (certainly not me) feel you have a choice between only two flavours of shit, at least you get the choice of flavour. With the EU, it is take it or leave it. 17.2m decided they want to leave it.

15. eternumviti

Absolutely. I would add that there's no other direction of travel on offer by the EU to the voters in the elections because that's not what the EP elections are about. All they serve to do is to vaguely vary the cast of the 750 odd who get to rubber stamp the outpourings of the EC. And have lunch.

Colin Barron likes this.
  16. eternumviti

I read in The Brussels Times tonight that Charles Michel is proposing an 'EU wide crisis centre', in perpetuity of course. Marvellous, another EU institution, and they'll need yet another 'President'. Not sure where the budget will come from.

17. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It's based on it being about as likely as your statement that we can sanction our representatives at the ballot box, and it's just as real. Or not real, more accurately. Still, Kylie might *just happen* to be in Leeds, take a wrong turn and have to stop for directions just as I *just happen* to be outside putting the bins out. Shortly after that she throws caution and social distancing to the wind and says "Steve, you're the man of my dreams!" and we ride off into the sunset. Look, it could happen. Just like Boris's constituents can vote him out if he fails. Course they can.

KrisW, Sue Pertwee-Tyr and ff1d1l like this.
  18. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

Ask jo Swinson, several Tory remainers and quite a few Ex Labour MPs whether being in touch with electorate is important.

eternumviti likes this.
  19. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

There’s a storm coming. Clue: it’s not over there.

20. Colin Barron

Colin Barron pfm Member

Why would he bother which magic money tree it comes from, Belgium has a 2.6 billion Euro per annum subsidy. Maybe his buddy Guy Verhofstadt will be lined up for the job.

thebigfredc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.