1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Brown out

Discussion in 'd.i.y.' started by Pete MB&D, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Halogen lights looked a bit dull, checked 232V of 233V with the oven off.

Any one else got low voltage, I am in Nottingham.

Pete

2. misterc6

misterc6 Wasted and wounded, it ain’t what the moon did

I can let you have some of ours, we’re normally 248V or 249V!

3. Pete MB&D

That's about ours on a good day, can you pop a bucket full in the post?

Pete

4. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

Is that visible? It's, what, 3%?

5. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Incandescent illuminance follow a power law, so proportional to delta-V^2.

(233/240)^2 = 6% low in power. Halogen bulbs use the 'halogen cycle' - which is really neat - to run much hotter than otherwise possible - 2700-3000K, rather than than 2100-2400K or so for conventional tungsten. So, yes, a small drop in supply volts means a marked change in colour temperature for such hot-running filaments. I don't doubt it's noticeable - if you ever play with an old 12v halogen desk light, the difference between 11.5 and the nominal 12V definitely is, which is the same span.

(I can bore for Britain on this stuff...

ETA: home here holds 235-239VAC year-round. benefit of being located city centre, with several chunky substations in a 5min walk radius)

coredump likes this.
  6. colasblue

colasblue pfm Member

I only ever get about 230V since my electrons seem to fly under the channel and are supplied by EDF from French Nuclear power.

Perhaps Brexit will help!

Bain of my life in selling used kit though since occasionally something that has worked well for me for years spontaneously self destructs when it goes elsewhere.

So far a Valhalla board and a NAD 7150 have had issues. Both fixed to customers satisfaction I hasten to add!

7. Pete MB&D

236 now looking brighter.

Pete

8. Pete MB&D

9. awkwardbydesign

Well well, I've never noticed. But then I am insensitive, or so my wife tells me. In my lounge I usually have 238-242, but it's all LED now; I save electricity with the lighting and waste it on the stereo!

10. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

LEDs are essentially driven (however crudely, internally) as constant-current, so no, you'd not notice even very gross swings in the nominal mains voltage at all :)

11. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

UK mains is 230V -6%/+10% so you are close to nominal. Malaysia is exactly the same, but my office is often 257V and they won't do anything about it. At 258V the main UPS panics and cuts input power.

A brown out is a much lower voltage.

12. awkwardbydesign

That's what I thought. They all used to be halogen, but I never noticed differences even then. Just me, probably.