1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Bruce Cockburn: Best Albums After 1983

Discussion in 'music' started by Peter McDermott, Feb 10, 2019 at 10:22 AM.

1. Peter McDermott

Peter McDermott pfm Member

In the early 1980s I had a bit of a Bruce Cockburn phase. I used to buy his records imported from Canada. I ended up with all from Bruce Cockburn (1970) to Trouble With Normal (1983). That last album didn't do much for me so that was the end of that particular journey. To be fair 1983 was when I left home so lots of things were changing.

I often play those records nowadays and still really enjoy them (though his very first album is by far the weakest of the ones I own).

I was wondering if anyone can suggest later albums that they really like?

I'm listening to Salt, Sun and Time as i write this.

2. Paraheadache

Paraheadache pfm Member

Driving along one day "Tibetan Side of Town" came on the radio and I had to have it. Big Circumstance is an album I play regularly not got any others though.

3. Peter McDermott

Thanks Paraheadache, I'll have a listen. Definitely worth checking out some of his early albums

Paraheadache likes this.
  4. reefhead

reefhead a counterblast to Agnosticism

I have Big Circumstance and World of Wonders LPs I was about list on ebay as part of a small purge. If you were interested and want to pm me im sure we could work something out.

5. Peter McDermott

Thanks for this Reefhead. Currently listening to Charity Of The Night on Spotify, not heard World of Wonders will give it a listen.

6. John

John TDS free

You missed out on “Stealing Fire” which came out in 1984. That, and “Dancing in the Dragon’s Jaw” are my two favs.

[​IMG]

7. Peter McDermott

Thanks John

8. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Dancing in the Dragon's Jaw and Humans are Brucie's best albums in my view.

My daughter disagrees and thinks the Franklin the turtle theme song is his best work.

Joe

Peter McDermott likes this.
  9. Spike55

Spike55 Doesn't get out enough.

I like Nothing But A Burning Light and Dart To The Heart if that's any help :)

10. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

In the early 90s I was in one of the larger tents at a music festival (forget which) and a chap called Bruce Cockburn (I had not heard of him) appeared on stage with a guitar and proceeded to play this piece. I was totally mesmerized and blown away that one man and a guitar could make this music. Thanks for reminding me with this thread.

11. Peter McDermott

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions so far. I've made a Spotify playlist. Will update with my favourites

12. Joe

Joe pfm Member

Bruce Cockburn ( eponymous ) is one of my true guilty pleasures and serves to remind me of much more innocent times in my life.

On the Fey Meter it is up there close to The Incredible String Band but then again ISB are another of my great guilty pleasures .

Hard to think that that album is nigh on 50 years old.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019 at 2:23 PM
  13. Paraheadache

Paraheadache pfm Member

He makes bloke with acoustic guitar interesting! A very unusual style of chord changes, quite captivating.