1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a used car - VAG 1.0 and 1.2 TSI petrol engines

Discussion in 'off topic' started by nicetone, May 14, 2019.

1. nicetone

nicetone pfm Member

Does anyone have experience of the Volkswagen Audi Group 1.0 and 1.2 TSI petrol engines in SEATs and Skodas?

I’m looking for a used car replacement for my 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer 1.6 (169,500 miles) which unfortunately I’m having to give up on due to an engine problem posted about here:
    https://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/car-engine-problem-any-ideas.226013/

After the past few weeks reading up/viewing different makes/models on-line, I’ve whittled down to the estate version of either SEAT Leon or Skoda Octavia, almost certainly no older than 2015.

I followed the recent ‘VW in trouble?’ thread which contained some useful confirmation of my current thinking on VAG models (thanks to those who posted).

I have the impression (happy to be proved wrong) that the complexity of modern cars, and the questionable customer service reputation of motor retail, makes any purchase, used or brand new, quite a gamble! If these concerns are proved to be unfounded I’ll be very happy. Had the same general misgivings buying my present car back in 2008; happily that purchase turned out fine, helped by knowing of someone’s trouble free experience with the same model.

I don’t relish car buying, or interactions (of any sort) with main dealers, and can’t work up much enthusiasm for anything out there. I've shortlisted the two models above because all I‘m after is a reliable, trouble free, and long lasting (to 2030 would be good) tool for getting from A to B. A car I can maybe do some servicing on myself if I choose, and take to an independent repairer for normal wear and tear stuff. My current annual mileage is now down to approx 5-6,000, though very little of that is urban or very short journeys.

Looking for info online using the search term ‘VAG TSI engines’, the first thing that struck me was the adverts for reconditioned engines! Maybe that’s unfair - it’s perhaps just down to the word ‘engines’ rather than necessarily ‘VAG TSI’. Other search results, some of which was ’Honest John’ content, included a few horror stories around what posters claimed were recurring issues from design/manufacturing problems in 1.0/1.2 TSI (and other sizes), related to cam chains, piston failures, turbo filter, coil pack failure (due to overheating from the exhaust). There were also suggestions that these were addressed in later versions of the engines - post 2011 and post 2014 mentioned (were they I wonder). Also reports of dealer fob-offs when the faults were raised.

If these VAG TSI petrol engines (2015 onwards) can be considered a reasonable punt, and I appreciate that all modern petrols are direct injection and turbo charged with potential issues related to that technology, it seems to me that the 1.2 four cylinder would be preferable to the 1.0 three (not just for the tax advantage of the older 1.2).

Anything PFM’ers care to post either from direct experience of these engines, or knowledge of others’ experience, would be very useful and appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Ginger

Ginger pfm Member

If I were looking for a car to keep for years, I think I’d look carefully at Japanese products. Honda probably.

3. tuga

tuga European

Boycott VAG.

4. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

Or Suzuki - you do not hear much about them breaking.

Or Korean with a 7 year warranty?

5. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Stay older, stay with conventional mid size non turbo petrol. Fuel economy is not a problem, there is little to fail on say a 2010 Focus 1.6. Drive it until you get bored, for peanuts.

nicetone, Mr Cat and Snufkin like this.
  6. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

In Asia Honda is considered to be the least reliable Japanese brand, a bit too complex for their own good. Of the Koreans, Kia is the best long term bet

7. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Honda’s VTEC used to be considered a special, bombproof engine. However, every person I’ve known well who has owned a Honda from the last fifteen years has had to put up with annoying rattles from the interior. Clutches on Civics appear to be made of chalk (20k miles or so before replacement). So I wouldn’t go anywhere near one.
    As above, a boring Focus, no turbo, plentiful help, simple servicing, local garages can fix, just treat it nicely, change the oil and filter every year. Change the timing belt on time.

Snufkin likes this.
  8. robs

robs pfm Member

Don't have experience of the 1.0 or 1.2, but have a 1.4TSI in a 2015 Octavia Estate. Get's 50mpg if driven sensibly and £30pa road tax. Goes very nicely with a heavy right foot. Don't really see any real advantage in the smaller engines - the main criticism if looking for an estate is that they'd be a little underpowered. With low mileage as you mention you won't see much financial benefit in higher mpg.
    I think there's several threads on Briskoda forum asking similar.

bobovox and nicetone like this.
  9. Ali T

Ali T pfm Member

Had one for a few months while waiting for my company car to turn up in a previous job. Totally gutless and I struggled to get much over 30mpg.

10. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

The op hasn’t mentioned needing a gutsy car. 30mpg is neither here nor there with low miles per annum, and depends on many factors anyway.

11. lordsummit

lordsummit Moderator

Honda Jazz you can get loads in one of those, Toyota Auris in petrol flavour or something by Kia or Hyundai.

12. Philim

Philim pfm Member

Not quite sure what that has to do with cars but crack on fella. :)

13. twotone

twotone pfm Member

Worst drivers in the world Jazz drivers, if someone makes a c*nt of something in front of you then you can bet your life on it that it will be a Jazz driver:D

Closely followed by Auris drivers...

Snufkin likes this.
  14. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Surprises me. I had a Mondeo 1.8, high 39s average, adequate performance, totally reliable. Ran to 150k miles on routine consumables. A great car.

In any case if you don't fancy a Focus (it was only an illustrative suggestion after all) get any one of the other mid range mid size NA petrol hatches, it's not as if you are short of choice. They are all perfectly competent and will do a job.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  15. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony pfm Member

Minus one. Our trusty CR-V proved bulletproof and solid as a very solid thing for three years. Lousy stereo though.

16. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Hondas don't rattle, they break down from too complex engine and ECU issues. Manuals are unheard of in Asia and the autos are as good as anyones.

17. tuga

tuga European

Have you not heard about the emissions scandal?
    Boycotting VAG is a duty (unless one enjoys being cheated...Brexit anyone?).

18. Coda II

Coda II getting there slowly

Been driving a Skoda Yeti with the 1.2 tsi since they first appeared in 2009 and not quite at the 100,000 mile mark yet.
    faults:
    spark plug lead failures - yes due to running too close to the engine, later leads have extra protection/spacer fitted
    coil/distributor failure
    there was an extra shim fitted to the turbo early on and from memory a software patch related to that as well - done by the dealer as part of service
    the big one was just last year when the gearbox was leaking oil, from memory it was a seal somewhere that had failed - but meant gearbox out, reconditioned, put back with a new clutch at the same time, all done by local independents

Other than that very happy with it, had it serviced by main dealer while under warranty but independent ever since. Still felt comfortable enough with it to pay for the gearbox service rather than look at part-exchanging it at that point.

nicetone likes this.
  19. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

considering he's after a 1.0 or a 1.2 then I seriously doubt he's after anything gutsy anyway...

20. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

But the op will be looking at much older than yours.