1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a used car - VAG 1.0 and 1.2 TSI petrol engines

Discussion in 'off topic' started by nicetone, May 14, 2019.

1. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

The op says he’ll be doing 5,000 to 6,000 miles per year. Let’s say 5,500.

At 35mpg, that’s about 150 gallons of fuel.
    At 45mpg, that’s about 122 gallons of fuel.

So, 32 gallons saved, which is about £15 per month saved, give or take.
    But if the 45mpg is with a diesel, the saving is less. And a 2.7 twin turbodiesel wouldn’t be my choice to see the op to 2030 without much expense. Some people are lucky, but I’d play the percentage game.

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

You would have to be mad to entertain a diesel on 6k miles a year. That's a fuel saving of £200 pa tops, in a car that's going to hand you a good number of bills between 100k and 150k. You either need to know that your fuel savings will cover it, in which case you need to be doing at least 15k miles a year and saving £500 plus, or buying sufficiently cheap that when it screws you for £1000, £1500 or £2k you can walk away and bin it.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  3. tuga

tuga European

The Focus Ecoboost 1.0L 120bhp I drive has averaged just under 52MPG in the last 2 years (roughly 35k miles). I make around 380 miles / week.

4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I keep hearing these tales, I had a few similar cars as hire cars, never saw 40 mpg. Over the same journey, week after week, the diesels gave me 50+ mpg. It was a significant saving over the week.

Suffolk Tony likes this.
  5. tuga

tuga European

I can take a photo of the average mpg tomorrow if you don't believe me.
    I had a 2009 Seat Leon 1.9 TDI before and with the Focus I can drive an extra round trip to the office (180 miles). Both tanks have a 55l capacity.

6. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

There are too many variables to go comparing our mpg figures.

7. Monitor Gold 10

Monitor Gold 10 Active Member

Good morning all!
    I've been running Alison, my beloved Audi A2 1.4TDI since 2014. She had 126,000 miles then. Now she has 223,000 miles on her odometer.

An Aluminium Body Structure means no rust. She can still achieve 60.1MPG too.

She has needed (aside from Service Items) an Intercooler, Clutch Master and Slave Cylinders, an axle set of Brake Cylinders, Calipers and Rear Road Springs, and a Tandem Pump End Gasket, a Suspension Ball Joint and a Thermostat.

At one point, she was used for a 415 mile a week commute- using A Roads, B Roads and Urban Roads...

There are very friendly and helpful Owners Clubs and you'll not see another very often...

And the Road Tax is £30 a year...

Obviously I'm massively biased, however Alison has been hugely reliable. Unlike some cars I've owned... Good luck with the search, all the best, Stu

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and Snufkin like this.
  8. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

No use to the op at all?

9. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

I've never had that with any of the many Honda's I've owned over the years, including 2 Jazzes (one of which we kept for 8 years and the other for 10). The only issue we had was juddering from the CVT gearbox on one of those, after 50K miles or so. Fixed for free by Honda with a change to a different type of Gearbox oil. The 1.2 manual Jazz was our "hack" car for years and despite being cosmetically challenged (my daughter bumped just about every panel in it) it was 100% reliable all that time.

We've also had several Fords and while they've been nice to drive we've had no end of issues with them (including having had to replace the gearbox in my daughters Fiesta because Ford couldn't fix the original one which had already had a warranty repair), and had to fight hard to get them to honour warranties - never again. The 1 litre turbo in my daughters car is pretty good though - quick and reasonably economical. The low pressure 1.6 Turbo in our A180 Merc is nicer though, and if anything slightly more fuel efficient despite it being a larger car.

10. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

I am more familiar with Accords and the sportier Civics, which do seem to have electronic problems, not as bad as Mercedes and BMW though.
    Fords annoy because they never fixed the standard problems, the steering rack, trailing arm bushes, rubber and plastic hoses, warped discs and ECU wiring in the wheel arch

11. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

I think I've been luckier that you as I've not had any serious issues with the 2 Accords, 1 sporty Civic (one of the VTi ones) and various Mercedes and BMW's we've owned. We had one of our Mercedes need an automatic gearbox rebuild but nothing else of note in what was mostly long term ownership (one of the Accords we had for over 10 years).

What's annoyed me with Fords is a combination of shite build quality and useless, unhelpful dealerships.

12. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

My hot and wet climate finds electronic weakness.
    My Mondeo had auto gearbox problems that the main dealer said was replacement time. Actually they had overfilled it.

13. nicetone

nicetone pfm Member

So not issues with Honda's VTec engine technology?

David - may I ask how Toyotas are viewed, long term if possible, with the VVT engines? Thanks.

14. nicetone

nicetone pfm Member

Agreed that for the mileage I've been doing in the past couple of years, fuel economy is not as important as it once was. However, it’s still an ingrained in me general aspiration (probably stemming from the 1973 oil crisis!) to seek out fuel economy. Though as I've already indicated, I've never had nor wanted a diesel, for various reasons, including the high maintenance costs for modern diesels at disproportionately low mileages.

The other consideration on fuel economy is that the fuel taxation regime may well change with new environmental policies, making filling-up much more costly than it is now.

15. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

None at all, and I think 3 of my Honda cars have VTec engines, as have a couple of the bikes.

16. nicetone

nicetone pfm Member

Been following up on this, entering year and price search criteria in Auto-trader, to throw up all makes of petrol manual estates, to see if any ‘sweet spots‘ did emerge. Interesting if time consuming exercise.

There appears not to be any banger bargains out there. Even X and Y reg with much lower mileages than would be expected for the year are listed at surprisingly strong prices. Not saying these wouldn’t perhaps be viable for someone, but it’s not where I’m going. £1,300 starts to move into “2003/04 territory and 80-90,000mls (at the low mileage end), but more generally it is £1,500 for these. Get to 2005/06 (my present car is 2005) and it’s generally more like £2,000. Steady rises from there, to say £3,500 2008 onwards and £5,500 for 2011 regs.

However, this wasn’t time wasted. I may have gained further ideas from it.

Interesting was some of the ’disproportionately’ low mileages I saw for the age of the cars. Examples, 2009 24,000 (one owner); 2014 11,000; 2016 8,200; 2015 13,800, at higher prices because of that. Yet, I tended to accept the opinion, frequently stated by the likes of Honest John, that low mileages, meaning low usage, were not good for a car. Therefore, a two year old car that had done 10,000 per yr (20,000) could be a better prospect than a two year old that had only done 4,000 per yr (8,000). The mileages I’ve exampled above from my search average 2,400, 2,200, 2,700, and 3,400 per year. Several others around 4,000 per year.

A friend bought a 2002 one-owner Toyota in 2016 with a verified 70,000 (average 5,000 per year) and says it‘s been brilliant during the 30,000 he’s done since. Okay, 5,000 per year is also the sort of mileage I do now.

My point, how valid is the consensus/concern over ‘too’ low mileage I wonder?

17. nicetone

nicetone pfm Member

Steve - thanks. What sort of mileages did you get them to? From what I know (and of course my knowledge is limited) the VTec, and the VVT on other makes is highly sophisticated tech, contributing to excellent engine performance. While it works as it should. What I'm curious about is the longevity, and the maintenance needed at high mileages. As I write this, I'm asking myself whether I'm perhaps being too obsessive about that because if I carry on at the mileage I've been doing for the past two years, then over 10yrs I'll only do 50-60,000mls in any case! However, it has been suggested to me by someone much more in the know, that generally the higher the tech, then the more costly the maintenance and any failed components (even if that is only at the end of reasonable life expectancy).

18. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

@nicetone

As ever, it depends. I’ve shared lifts with someone who hit inside kerbs on every other roundabout exit. I wouldn’t buy his cars at any mileage, but how would a stranger know?

Cars are a lot more than engine and mpg.

19. SteveG

SteveG pfm Member

The first VTEC I had did about 50K miles in the couple of years I owned it, with no issues (I used to do a lot of mileage back then, for work reasons). The other two cars - one went well over 100K miles (might have been 120K) with no engine work other than scheduled maintenance (I only replaced the car, which was still running great, as the service costs had got to the point of being more than the value of the car) and I think the other went to about 90K or so (and was still going strong when I got rid). The bikes are all a lot lower mileages - but barring a couple of specific models the Honda bike engines are renowned for their reliability. They've certainly been a lot better than other bikes I've owned, so I mostly stick with Honda these days for motorbikes. For cars we've mostly switched to Mercedes.

20. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart pfm Member

Many vtec engined cars have been modified, and driven, and driven and driven. Just look after them, recommended oil, OEM filters, and enjoy.

I’m no Honda car fan, but I acknowledge the brilliance of the vtec engines.