1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cable lifters and supports for mains blocks etc.

Discussion in 'audio' started by YNWOAN, Jul 7, 2018.

1. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Something to think about...http://www.emfs.info/effects/microshocks/microshocks-from-bicycles/
    Some of those lines are 400kV. Electric fields. As an apprentice on British Rail working under the overhead power lines in damp weather, placing a finger very close to (not touching) someones ear would give them a sharp but mild shock!-oh how we laughed.http://www.emfs.info/effects/microshocks/

2. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Interesting! I’m well insulated from my bike when riding as the bars, brake levers etc are carbon fibre. I assume the charge dissipates fairly quickly as I stopped for a quick breather a few hundred yards after the pylons and certainly didn’t get a jolt off the titanium frame. Curiosity will now have me deliberately prodding it!

3. Norman Green

Norman Green pfm Member

Granite slabs on top of equipment !

Very amusing.

Must try that sometime - could be a bit bothersome lifting slabs on and off the Isoblue, LP12 etc.

4. Joe

Joe pfm Member

They can do magic as well............fluorescent tubes under power lines

cooky1257 likes this.
  5. YNWOAN

YNWOAN 100% Analogue

Yeah, the radiated field is so great they will light a tube without any ballast or wiring - just by being in proximity.

6. Beobloke

Beobloke pfm Member

I tried this on my turntable recently and wasn't impressed, as it seemed to adversely affect the sound quality and the speed stability. Then I remembered it doesn't have a lid.

misterdog, Theo and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  7. AndrewM

AndrewM pfm Member

I watched them do a replacement long span of high voltage lines near where I live a year or so ago. They built scaffold bridges over the local dual carriage way and the river, laid the cable out over ground and winched it up.

The cable is relatively light weight - multi strand aluminium reinforced with steel or even carbon fibre.

According to Wikipedia the longest single span in the uk is just over 1600 Meters.

8. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

9. Marky-Mark

Marky-Mark pfm Member

Not to throw shade on an impressive number of upvotes, but while there is indeed a similarity ("over-engineered and insanely expensive bling [that make it look 'hi-tech'"]) between audio Foo and bike bling, there is an obvious difference that I'm surprised no one has pointed out in their zeal to pucker up: you can most assuredly measure gram weight and it will absolutely make a difference in terms of performance once those grams add up -- as in a few grams here and few over there. That's If you're actually interested in going faster or easier. Audio Foo bling? Not so much. In fact, not at all. Nada. Nothing to measure. Zilch. No soup. Not even a crouton. It's a classic false equivalence, as are nearly all pro-Foo assertions.

Rockmeister likes this.
  10. SAP7

SAP7 pfm Member

Ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha
    Ha ha ha ha ha
    Ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha
    Ha ha ha ha ha
    Ha ha ha ha ha
    Ha ha ha ha ha
    Ha ha ha ha ha

Just send me the money and I’ll make you some out of non ionic inductive foo mesh.

11. koi

koi pfm Member

Cable lifters

DO not waste your mon
    Excellent post.

12. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Glad to be of help.
    When trying to back up your beliefs in foo and that others heard it too, when providing concrete evidence that foo works the third party has to be a Sceptical partner and they have to have noticed a veil being lifted and blacks becoming inkier, etc. Ideally from another room.
    You’ll soon catch on.

13. Alex S

Alex S pfm Member

Their owners usually do.

As for cables supports: 3 inches of household dust with a few well placed dead flies.

whatsnext and TimF like this.
  14. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

quite
    I couldn't be bothered arguing, but any cyclist who doesn't understand that even a half gram might mean a win isn't quite getting the physics. As to comparisons to cosmetics:rolleyes:

15. G T Audio

G T Audio Trade: Distributor and Manufacturer

16. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

When one of my children had a brain tumour over 20 years ago (successfully removed) we were approached by the childhood cancer study, a longitudinal research into the issue. One of the things they made note of was how near we lived to an electricity pylon nearby. This surprised me because It was actually several hundred metres away. I never did find out if they published any conclusions.

I know there was a time in the 80s that building societies would not lend on properties near substations. They may still not as far as I know.

17. Jonboi

Jonboi Because Music Matters

I'd add that one of the finer points of owning and living with a fully active speaker is to avoid the audiophile perceived need for box swapping and so called 'upgrades'.

The active speaker system as a whole is designed, engineered and tuned by tertiary trained professionals with large amounts of R&D budgets and usually state of the art technical resources.

I prefer to buy a car I like from a reputable manufacturer, as a finely finished and tuned complete vehicle.

I don't buy a body in white and assemble a car by buying the requisite parts from various parts bins at retail emporiums.

Similarly with my HiFi. I like the hobby, and am interested in depth as to what works and what doesn't, but dislike the OCD obsessive side of it with all the mix and match parts swapping and assembly, with guesswork and hoping for the best result as an amateur.

By contrast, a fully matched and tuned, very high performance fully active speaker allows the HiFi hobby to withdraw quietly into the background for me, with none of the obsessive traits of fiddling with component parts, cables, stands, accessories etc arising.

As such, it also allows my love of music and appreciation thereof to come to the fore - the principal reason for buying a HiFi in the first place - to reproduce music to a very high level of authenticity in the home.

Without wishing to denigrate others choices and the hobby interest, I could not personally, go back to a mix and match, passive HiFi setup on both performance and liveability grounds.

Cheers

Mescalito and John Phillips like this.
  18. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

The rumours are enough to affect values.

19. Joe

Joe pfm Member

Interesting... did your active speaker manufacturer also make your deck, arm, cartridge, and phono stage? Did they also make your CD player and tuner? ( not to mention cables )

Your car buying analogy does really work in hi-fi.

I love ATC speakers but i could never get my head around the cheap plate amps they have in their actives.... not for the money they charge for them. Much better amps are available .

20. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member