1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Careful how you dispose of your redundant thumb drives

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Derek Wright, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Derek Wright

Derek Wright pfm Member

2. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

One thing I repeatedly observed was colleagues with all their personal and social media stuff on work iPads, phones and to a lesser extent laptops. One guy had a lively interest in large breasts- every time he opened his phone, out they’d pop.

3. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

yes we have a bag full of donated, and found USB memory sticks, that we give to our forensics students as coursework to see how much data they can recover.

We advise both staff and students here not to use them at all, and they are banned as means of transporting personal data. My wife's company disables USB ports on machines.

4. Rico

Rico Bloody Colonials

you can get data vault USB drives that encrypt the data with AES256. Set it to maximum five tries, and if anyone tries to brute-force it, it shreds/wipes itself. Unwiping and bruteforcing at AES256? Take more than your neighbours bitcoin mining rig to crack it?!

5. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

I burn my old hard drives and sticks. Replacing a stick is cheaper than the clever software and I know nobody's getting any data from the ashes.

6. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

yep we try encrypted ones as well. Surprising how many don't work as intended.

7. Mullardman

Mullardman Moderately extreme...

I bought one of those Encryptable/Password Protected/'Totaly Secure' pen drives some years ago, in order to transport sensitive client data about my caseload in a Special School. Secured the agreement of the school head etc. Used the drive once and could never get into the bloody thing again.

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Not something I’d ever throw away to be honest. Old low-capacity drives can be useful for retro computers etc, and they are so small they can easily be retained. None of mine have personal info on though, they tend to be install images, recovery etc.

linnfomaniac83 likes this.
  9. awkwardbydesign

awkwardbydesign Officially Awesome

I have only ever put music on memory sticks. Nobody would want my choices!

10. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

I have chucked old disc drives off a ferry half way across the channel.

11. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

You do realise they are hermetically sealed and float? There are far more intelligent and greener ways to deal with such things!

12. Wolfmancatsup

Wolfmancatsup Empire State Human

One company I worked for used to regularly warn about USB stick carrying viruses, although they never disabled the company PCs' ports. Then, to promote a new campaign, the marketing department gave every single emplyee a branded USB stick...

13. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Bob,

Gone phishing?

Joe

14. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Any fool knows the green way to dispose of old IT equipment is to leave it on the train.

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I think that is just the government recycling stratergy.

16. Derek Wright

Derek Wright pfm Member

was this the source data for the research quoted in the article?

17. lAmBoY

lAmBoY pfm Member

They do have a breather hole on the top cover to even out air pressure, im sure after a while moisture would get into the drive. They pretty heavy too (well the 3.5" ones are), not sure if they contain enough air to be buoyant.

18. stephen bennett

stephen bennett Mr Enigma

I send my redundant USB sticks into the Sun on a Space X rocket.

Expensive, but worth it with your data.

Stephen

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  19. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

Give them to a puppy. Just as permanent, and a lot cheaper.

stephen bennett likes this.
  20. Joe P

Joe P certified Buffologist / mod

Stephen,

You know as well as I that heading into the sun is how you rid yourself of those behaviour-altering parasites (aka the thing left behind after being bitten by a flying barf).

Seriously, it's as though my bazillion informative posts here have been nothing but a steady stream of tl;drs.

Joe

stephen bennett likes this.