1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Careful how you dispose of your redundant thumb drives

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Derek Wright, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

Is there not a way of wiping USB sticks and other drives so all data is genuinely deleted? I'm guessing maybe not as those with vastly more IT knowledge than myself on this thread have not mentioned it....
    I seem to recall reading that when you delete stuff all that happens is new data is allowed to be written over the top of the "deleted" data and that eventually the old data will be completely written over or so corrupted as to be irretrievable... but that there are methods (holding the space bar down or some such whilst clicking delete) that genuinely delete the data?

2. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

There are applications you can use to securely delete. These overwrite all blocks of data on the disk, several times, to remove traces of the original data. They come in various packages, I think Acronis has it.

3. matt j

matt j pfm Member

4. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Personally if I am using any external drive or USB stick for sensitive stuff then it goes in an encrypted partition, then I don't have to worry about having to make sure it's deleted or where it lays around when not in use.

5. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

Snap, that and music files if I've ripped vinyl for friends... but that's about it. I don't know about windows because I haven't used it for years (with the exception of win7 for a couple of specific tasks), but in apple land, anything on my iMacs, MacBook, iPad or phone can be accessed on any one of the other devices, I've not really had any use for flash drives or disks for years personally with the exception of windows installation files for bootcamp installs.

6. Rico

Rico Bloody Colonials

Blimey, being 'green' is alive and well in blighty? Put a nail through them, then take to an IT recycler for shredding. Save the atmosphere, avoid silicon chips with your fish, and avoid a visit from the RSPCA!

Yes, in OSX-land there are plenty of secure-wipe modules. The 'shredder' is a good one, in 'Cleanmymac X'. Not to mention the built-in drive encryption "FileVault', AES128 with a 256 bit key.

7. Amber Audio

Amber Audio Trade: Amber Audio

8. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

no not us. I suspect any HEI worth their salt and teaching this stuff has been doing this for years. we've been teaching it for about 5 years - it isn't new news.....

9. claire.fox

claire.fox punk pony princess in a pretty party dress

10. matt j

matt j pfm Member

Looks like an odd glory hole. Or so I've heard. Apparently.