1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Carists advice needed.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Tarzan, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

What bike would you recommend.

2. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

New rule:

Don’t post a question if you’re not going to be around to answer subsequent questions for hours and hours.

3. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It depends on what you want to do with it. For a general purpose ride to work and shopping, I'd say a hybrid with mudguards and , if you want to carry stuff, a rack. If budget is an issue, I'd go second hand. There are lots of decent bikes on Facebook Marketplace, if you have a knowledgeable mate then they can help choose one to suit your needs and in the right size.

If you want something to take the kids to school, or travel from Sheffield to London and back in a day then a car is probably better.

4. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

[​IMG]

cctaylor, naimplayer, Tarzan and 2 others like this.
  5. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Staying alert

Sport Utility Velocipede?

kendo, Snufkin, Tarzan and 2 others like this.
  6. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

At what point are people going to get the message that they shouldn't be doing anything that involves non-essential contact with other people?

7. cutting42

cutting42 Arrived at B4 Hacker Erg \o/

Slightly more seriously, the OP question needs more detail.

How old? As £12k gets you a full fat diesel Range Rover if you don't mind a 2010 model with a few miles or a brand new Dacia Duster.

How big? SUV covers a very wide range of sizes. If I pick one brand like Audi they have tiny Q2 then Q3, Q5, Q7 and Q9 each getting bigger. There are other brands in each bracket from Cheap (Kia Stonic) to ridiculous (Bentley Bentayga)

Most laydees (my wife for one) find the look, feel and colour quite important. I suspect you will need to to some test driving

Dozey and Tarzan like this.
  8. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

Quadbike - hits many (not all admittedly) of the requirements

9. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

We still have to move around.

10. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

Gaycha likes this.
  11. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

Or maybe the other way round ?
    ;)

12. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

13. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Not snarky and pointless at all. The man asked for an SUV. In that context a small hatch is pointless. If he wants a small hatch, he'll ask for one. Suggesting a bike, now that was facetious.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  14. Gaycha

Gaycha pfm Member

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
  15. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

I agree that as a family workhorse car for £12k or so, I don’t see that much difference between a Honda CR-V, Ford, Toyota, Tiguan, or many others of that ilk. They’ll probably all do a decent enough job, be pretty reliable & comfy. My guess is that the decision will be influenced by looks, interior gadgets & a keen deal done by a salesman.
    A Tiguan or a CR-V would probably be my choice but not for any strongly held opinion.

16. Tony Lockhart

Tony Lockhart Avoiding Stress, at Every Opportunity

I’d still keep clear of VW and family. Certainly in my area. Terrible dealers, silly issues.

17. Minio

Minio pfm Member

IMO SUVs are overrated. They are all about the look.

For example a Nissan Qashqai is big on the outside but an MPV like the Citroën C4 Picasso has a lot more room in it for a lot less money.

But if you must have the SUV look try a Nissan Juke. Yes I thought the styling a bit OTT at first but my opinion changed once Id driven it.
    1.2 Petrol Auto would be my preference.

18. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

No, we don't, unless it's to get essentials or go to work if you can't work at home. Everything else should be shelved and that definitely includes mooching around looking to buy a motor.

19. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

So we have to move around.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  20. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

I had a lift in a Juke recently and I was in the back; it was not a good place to be as it was gloomy and surprisingly crashy. By comparison, riding in the back of a Lupo or a Mini is more comfortable.

Gaycha likes this.