1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Carl Beech "Nick" on trial

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Cav, May 14, 2019.

1. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Just seen on the news that he is in Court charged with perverting the course of justice.

2. clifftaylor

clifftaylor Probably retired!

Can't imagine why lol

3. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr pfm Member

He’s Nicked

4. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

It is just astonishing that so many people (police especially, it seems) found 'him' believable. We can pretend to be astonished that previous generations of humans believed in witches and persecuted 'them'. Seems we are still just as gullible.

5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

IIRC much of this seemed to arrive from a website called ‘Exaro News’ and the implication given at the time was there was more than a single lead/source. It would be rather interesting to know who was behind that site and whether there was any financial chicanery. Deputy Labour Leader Tom Watson certainly bought into it all, I remember him bringing it up in the HoC many times.

I’ve forgotten much of the detail, but accusations were made relating the Elm Guest House, Dolphin Square and some children’s home in Ireland and in the Channel Islands somewhere. Whilst it is now pretty clear much if not all is fabricated the police statement relating to ex-PM Edward Heath remains rather ‘interesting’ in that it didn’t reject the accusations made against him.

I’m beyond astonished if all this really was all down to one lone nutter making crap up. I don’t understand how the police could fall for such a thing. I have little if any idea about police processes, but surely they’d need more than one lead to keep multiple multi-£million investigations (Fernbridge, Midland etc) open? All remarkably bizarre!

6. Cav

Cav pfm Member

7. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

I seem to remember quite a few regulars on here getting a bit carried away with the above accusations believing some vast cover-up was in place to prevent the story reaching the general public. Maybe some should have been a bit more circumspect.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...uring-a-westminster-paedo-party.164918/page-8

8. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

The story was widely reported right across all tiers of the media, so hard not to take it seriously really. With the likes of Tom Watson and other MPs believing it, it being reported everywhere from hard-right gutter shit-rags like the Sun and Mail right through to the Guardian, BBC, Sky, Reuters, C4 etc I certainly thought there was something in it. I’m now just baffled as to how (assuming what we are being told now is true) that a single fantasist can fool the police and literally all the news media in the land. How can that happen? We are obviously at the mercy of journalists, news organisations, police, MPs etc for our information, and this story was *everywhere*.

To be honest I’d like to see an enquiry as I just don’t understand how something entirely false based on the lies of one person can escalate to that level. Where was the evidence? Where was the press regulation to ensure accurate reporting?

9. Steve Taylor

Steve Taylor pfm Member

Wasn’t a dossier on paedophiles lost while TM was Home Secretary and an enquiry to be chaired by Butler- Schloss and a few others quietly dropped?

jackbarron and ff1d1l like this.
  10. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

I remember that. I’m sure I also remember either C4 News or Newsnight citing another ‘victim’ and broadcasting allegations from some blacked-out character with an electronically altered voice etc, i.e. the implication being it wasn’t just based on one testimony. The piece I’m recalling had some anonymised person wandering around outside Dolphin Sq. IIRC.

There are a lot of things that just don’t seem right to me, hence I feel there should be some kind of proper open investigation in to what exactly this all was and how it built up to a blanket mainstream media hysteria. One obvious question is was it maybe an orchestrated political smear campaign, and if so by who? As it stands it makes no sense to me. I’m sure some stuff will come out of the trial of Carl Beech, but I’m very interested to know more about ‘Exaro News’, who I think fed a lot of it into the mainstream.

11. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

It's a cover up of the cover up...

12. Tim Jones

Tim Jones pfm Member

It can escalate to that level precisely because of threads like the one linked to above.

Perhaps there is some evidence waiting to be found, but so far there is none, save the apparent testimony of Carl Beech, now charged, some I-heard-once-that rumours, and a huge amount of speculation. The reporting is not inaccurate, in that it is reporting what people said. IIRC, the most crucial point was the line from investigating detective that Mr Beech's allegations were "credible" - something in hindsight that was perhaps not a good idea.

People will see what they want to see, and that includes longstanding pfm'ers - especially where evil Tories are concerned. Whether or not something "doesn't feel right" doesn't add a scintilla of fact or evidence to a case.

13. ff1d1l

ff1d1l pfm Member

I still think it stinks. An attack on the credibility of the major witness does not wrap it up. People in power have always abused it, and enough credible evidence of years of cover up in the media - Saville, Harris et al just makes me think this is the cover up they would have wanted - they just had the misfortune to have influence only over the media. Not police, security services, etc as our beloved public servants do.

14. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Abuse is common, the victims are numerous and a feature of child sexual abuse is that victims would previously not come forward because they’d not be believed, hence Savile got away with it for a lifetime. What is less common is “Nick”- and those like him - attention seeking and manipulative. “Nick” observed a gap and exploited it. The last thing this case should be allowed to do is undermine the detection and prosecution of offenders by throwing shadow on genuine victims.

15. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Indeed. It would be a very ugly world if the default position was to always believe the wealthy and powerful elites over those claiming to be victims. We have in recent years seen just how riddled religion, education and entertainment is with child abuse, plus politics is hardly clear regardless of this case (e.g. Cyril Smith etc).

16. Tim Jones

Tim Jones pfm Member

You're both putting up straw men there. It's an equally ugly world where people are allowed to throw accusations around in the absence of any evidence or legal process.

Not that such a thing could ever happen here.

17. tiggers

tiggers pfm Member

In the Leveson Report where Cameron the cowardly so and so decided to leave it!

18. Tim Jones

Tim Jones pfm Member

19. droodzilla

droodzilla pfm Member

Fled to Sweden. Ironic.

20. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Just gets weirder and weirder! One has to question what the police were actually doing?