1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

carol kidd, linn records equivalent

Discussion in 'music' started by jaf229, Apr 23, 2007.

1. jaf229

jaf229 pfm Member

i own a few lps from linn records, carol kidd, claire martin, and just love the quality of the recording and the music itself...i was told these albums were used by dealers to show off the abilities of an lp12..im running lp12, lingo2, linto, ekos2, akiva...its a shame linn records only makes a few actual records...most are cds. thx

2. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

You've not heard their first offering by Renee 'Reaching For The Sky' then?

3. zealandic

zealandic pfm Member

renee superb...also blue nile excellent

4. RJohan

RJohan pfm Member

Carol Kidd's records where available to the general public. It's possible they where sold only through Linn dealers, though, can't remembaer clearly now.

The records Linn cut in the 1980's where certainly better sounding than almost anything else. They started by modifying an old cutting lathe but eneded up rebuilding almost everything. And they used Naim(!) amps to drive the Ortofon cutting head with no processing.

I have some with classical music they cut for the swedish importer.

It doesn't seem to be in use anymore. A pity.

JohanR

5. ex brickie

ex brickie pfm Member

I seem to recall an album on Linn by ? Jon Strong? Anyone know what it is? I haven't seen one (record or CD). My rose tinted ears seem to recall liking it at a demo!

6. horace

horace pfm Member

I once saw Jon Strong live in Ashford (gig organised by the local Linn dealer). He was good - got signed copy of his LP to show for it.
    I seem to recall that the gig was very poorly attended and that the man himself was somewhat cynical about his label ('glad to see so many of you dragged yourselves away from your overpriced hifis in order to be here tonight' or something along those lines. He had a point.....). Nice bloke, from my brief conversation with him.
    From memory, the Linn lp is called 'Follow Me'.
    I believe he has toured with some top acts (Ry Cooder springs to mind, though I may be wrong).

Martin

7. Stevie A

Stevie A pfm Member

Jon Strong --Follow Me

Was listening to the cd last night,great recording,good playing from the band!!!!

8. tones

tones Tones deaf

Ex brickie, I have this CD "Follow me", given to me by Harrod's Linn department as part of an apology for mistakenly selling the LK140 ordered in for me on my one day in London before going back to Swizzieland. I'm a nearly 100% classical listener, so I listened to it a whole once (and not even all of it). I think it's still around the house somewhere, so if I still have it and you want it, it's yours for the P&P to you from Swizzieland (probably about £5 total). PM me if interested.