1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cartridge exchange SME 10

Discussion in 'audio' started by Greenhorn, May 16, 2019.

1. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Member

I have a SME 10 turntable, model 10 tonearm and require a new cartridge as the existing Ortofon bronze quintet is past its best.
    Having read a number of reviews I am currently considering the Van Den Hul one special and the Dynavector XX2 II MCC.
    System comprises Naim NAC 82, Hi Cap, NAP 250, B&W PM1's.
    As the try before you buy option is not available with cartridges I was interested in any advice/recommendations?

2. FireMoon

FireMoon pfm Member

The Audio Technica ART-9 is well worth considering.

3. I.D.C.

I.D.C. pfm Member

On my Model 10 A is a Sumoko pearwood Celabration 11 cartridge it sounds phenomenal. Sumoko designed this cartridge usinga SME tone arm. They are a wee bit expensive however will last for years. Even got one stored away to beat inflation.

4. daytona600

daytona600 Registered User

Use the trade in value on your Ortofon & get a Cadenza
    ART9 also excellent per other post

5. alan967tiger

alan967tiger pfm Member

A Lyra Delos is also really good with SME arms.

tonyx likes this.
  6. slawekt

slawekt pfm Member

I also have SME 10 but with 309 tonearm , Cadenza Bronze works very well , kind of sweet spot in said range , Replicant stylus is hard to beat

7. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

do you like the sound of the bronze? It has a slight warmth (by design) so if that's your thing???

8. slawekt

slawekt pfm Member

I'm not sure why everybody say Bronze sounds "warm" , is very important to get Repicant stylus around 92 degrees and get azimuth right , measured frequency response is very much as quoted by Ortofon +2.5/-1dB . I used to have Cadenza Blue and Bronze is definitely a step up , Bronze is best measuring cartridge I owned apart from 2M Black which was a sniff more linear .

9. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

Because, if you ask Ortofon, they say that's the way the range is designed.

10. slawekt

slawekt pfm Member

If that's what they say then yes I like Bronze's "warm" sound , to me matters frequency response not salesman talk.
    SME TT's are called clinical so final product of SME and Bronze must be neutral:)

Rockmeister likes this.
  11. Tim Jones

Tim Jones pfm Member

Based on my five years with a 20/3A, I suggest DVs work well, and (modern) Lyras especially well with an SME.

I've just put an old 17D2(.5) on mine - not a combination that's very common - and it's the best thing I've heard for a while. "Warm" it's not, but that's a taste thing I guess.

12. uncl_nigel

uncl_nigel pfm Member

From my personal experience with an SME 20/2A I'd go for a DV (I've heard great sound from both 20 and 17D3).

I am currently using a Grado Sonata 2 but its wide body can get very close to the clamp at the end of a very full LP side (not a major problem for me since I generally don't use the clamp).

13. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

A Benz would be nice and balance the 'neutrality' of the SME.

chris@panteg likes this.
  14. slawekt

slawekt pfm Member

I used Benz Wood SL with SME10 as well and it sounded "warm" compared to Cadenza Bronze , which was clearly seen on f. response with a pronounced rise below 200Hz and marginally smaller frequency peak above 10KHz , sounded very smooth

15. colasblue

colasblue pfm Member

If you're happy with it why not just get a new one?

You'll get a lot more bang for your buck by upgrading the 82's PS than by buying a megabucks m/c

16. Greenhorn

Greenhorn Member

My intention was to upgrade the 82's PS, before I noticed the deterioration of the performance of the cartridge. This is still the plan once the new cartridge is bedded in and I have saved up some more money.
    My instinct is that I am underselling the turntable with my current cartridge and have budget limitations on a replacement.
    I will do some research and discuss your suggestions with my local dealer who is a good guy.

Thank you for the feedback and suggestions.

17. slawekt

slawekt pfm Member

There is ZYX R50 Bloom MK3 on Art of Sound forum , just few hours use and almost half a price , very nice cartridge for the money