1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

CD player questions

Discussion in 'audio' started by wpm, Nov 27, 2017.

1. wpm

wpm pfm Member

Hi

I am looking for a CD player to partner my Naim nait 5i-2

I dont have funds to change my amp for a few more years i think

I am also happy with the Naim nait 5i-2 - at the moment.

I used to mate the Nait 5i-2 with Naim CD5XS but had issues with CD5XS though the synergy was excellent.

Naim doesnt have much service in India and so i am hesitant to go back to Naim CD players.

I am fixed on CD Players and will not be interested in digital / DAC / streaming etc..

a. How good is the Marantz SA8005 ? Any experience of it dancing with Naim nait 5i-2 ?

b. Rega Apollo 2017 any good ?

What other options do i have keeping the naim amp as it is.

I prefer a good CDP which doesnt draw me into "brand synergy " but rather into musical synergy.

Look forward to your suggestions

My current CDP is a Philips CD750 which is rather old

Best
    wpm

2. wpm

wpm pfm Member

My Budget is USD 800 - USD 1500 range

3. PerF

PerF Member

Rega Apollo would be a fine match

4. djftw

djftw Heterodox Member

What was the issue with the cd5xs?

I don't have any direct experience of either model with your amp, but have heard several earlier Rega and Marantz models in Naim systems and owned a few Marantz CDPs...I can't help thinking you will find either disappointing after a cd5xs - I have had a cd5x for 9 years without any volition to change it, which I can't say for any of the Marantz players.

I would note that the SA8005 has been discontinued and is available for around 60% of its original RRP over here - so assuming something similar is true in India could be something of a bargain, especially if you own SACDs. However, the Apollo may be better in terms of 'musical synergy' as you put it, though these things are somewhat subjective I know more users of Rega CDPs than Marantz CDPs with Naim amps...you really need to listen and satisfy yourself!

Either way you should understand that you would be going from a £2.3k RRP CDP (cd5xs) to a £1k RRP CDP (8005) or a £600 RRP CDP (Apollo) so even with the law of diminishing returns in hifi I'd beware of expecting too much!

5. wpm

wpm pfm Member

Thank you.

6. wpm

wpm pfm Member

djftw

I am from Mumbai, India.

The Naim CD5XS is a fine player - no question and no debate.

I have had ERR msg coming up may times and had to send it to Dubai twice and UK once for repair.

Needless to say fatigue set in and i gave up in trying to repair it.

Unfortunately - the hard lesson for me is that though i love Naim - as far as CDP goes - i want to buy one with a dealer backup locally in India.

The way i am looking at it is :-

a. I cant get back the synergy of CD5XS and Naim nait 5i-2
    b. BUT - whatever CDP i get will be better than my old Philips CD 750
    c. Unfortunately my stance also rules out the Naim CD5si - i do not want heart breaks again

But i know i can come close if i choose well.

best
    wpm

7. lennyw

lennyw Still throwing Eephus pitches

This is important to bear in mind.

I realise you've said you're not interested in a DAC etc, but in your shoes I would look for a S/H Naim DAC (there are some here: https://www.hifishark.com/search?q=naim+dac) and pair it with an old Sony ES CDPlayer as a transport. That way, when/if the CDP dies, you can replace it with something else, but you'll still have the Naim DAC which will hopefully provide you with the synergy you miss, and if it doesn't work out, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to sell the DAC on without taking much of a hit.

8. linnfomaniac83

linnfomaniac83 I bet you can’t wheelie a unicycle!

I was going to suggest the Apollo too, rega players sound great.

9. wpm

wpm pfm Member

There is an option of a Marantz SA11S2 at demo price of USD 1500 near home with a home audition option.

10. wpm

wpm pfm Member

Thank you !

I will check it out.

The Rega Apollo costs equivalent of USD 1200 here and there is a Marantz SA11S2 at about a bit more..

11. palacefan

palacefan pfm Member

I use a Marantz SA11S2 as my secondry CD player to a Meridian 808.2 a good CD player with SACD ability, well built but falls a bit short of top of the league players.

12. PerF

PerF Member

If you have a local Rega distributor or dealer, a possible Apollo service should be of no issue if needed

Otherwise the idea of using your old Philips player as a transport might work for a while with something like a Rega DAC, often available s/h for $400-500.
    But there seem to be un-ending choices if you decide for a separate dac and in any price range.

13. wpm

wpm pfm Member

PerF,

For a product costing GBP 600 in UK - the dealer asks close to GBP 1000 here. I am assuming a 10% discount off list price.

This spoils the value equation.

The GBP 600 in UK will include the dealer discounts as well.

Not want to get into a rant on dealer pricings.

If i do have to pay GBP 1000 here - then may as well get a Naim CD5si and hope for the best in terms of usability ( without any failure ) of the player for the next 3 to 5 years maybe.

The thing with Naim CD5si is that it constrains my ( potential ) amplifier upgrade - if i do go for a NAC 202 + NAP 200 or SN2 - then the CD5si becomes a bottleneck.

Besides - the red display of the Rega will not match with the Green eyes of the Naim Nait 5i-2

:))

regards
    wpm

14. PerF

PerF Member

wpm,
    I did post my suggestions based on above

For your info, I am running my Rega with a 3 box Naim amp setup.
    On paper it might be "unbalanced or mullet" but I don't care as long as I enjoy the music.

Your right about the red Rega light though this has never worried me that much TBH
    Perhaps they accept order in green display ?

A 5Si cd player will surely be just fine for your amp if you decide for this, I do expect its much more expensive than Apollo/R, its double up or so where I live.
    I disliked the earlier Naim entry level cd players so I choosed Rega solution, they are very listenable IMO

No idea if the brands in question are represented in your region ?

15. lennyw

Just remember, unless you have a dealer who is able to exchange the CD mechanism (and has spares) there is always the risk that it will fail and you'll have an expensive door-stop. I can't remember whether Rega do have a collection of spare mechanisms (something tells me they do), but it'd be worth checking this out before investing in something new. As mentioned above, I question whether any modern mechanism (save the Philips Pro2) is as well built as a Sony ES from the 90s, and would seriously consider a 2-box solution with Naim or Rega DAC.

16. wpm

wpm pfm Member

I opened up the top cover of my old Philips CD750 and i was distressed to see the amount of noise the spinning of the disc generates. Thats why it is best to invest R&D in a quiet mechanism with a good DAC and there you have a nice CDP.

IN case i am to use the CD750 or even a Marantz SA 7003 ( maybe ) for transport duties - i still cannot get over the noise i heard with the CD750 opened up.

I doubt a standalone DAC alone would give cover for the shortcoming of the transport itself.

17. peter bj

peter bj pfm Member

rotel and marantz models all seem to be pretty decent imo and have used both with Naim in the past

18. lennyw

Which is why you should look at a Sony ES model. Absolutely silent.

19. wpm

wpm pfm Member

20. wpm

wpm pfm Member

any experience with a Teddy Pardo DAC with USB facility ?

One of the thoughts is to use this Teddy Pardo DAC or Metrum Octave Ver 1 DAC ( non USB ) with my old CDP as transport only

Teddy has to be imported and Metrum is available pre loved locally

regards