1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Ceramic hob just stopped working.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Fatmarley, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Fatmarley

Fatmarley pfm Member

Bl**dy typical, just peeled the potatoes for a roast and switched the hob on, no lights and buttons are unresponsive. It's well out of warranty, so I can either buy a new one (any recommendations?) or try to fix it. The cooker works, so I can't see it being the switch on the wall (The switch turns the hob and cooker on/off).

Potatoes are in the oven and veg will be done in the microwave, so I'm not worried about that.

Found one on eBay for £99, but I'll need to check if the old one has 6mm cable first. I'd rather fix it if possible though, and just wondered if there's a chance it could be something simple. I've got a multi-meter and soldering iron if that helps.

2. JensenHealey

JensenHealey pfm Member

I guess there is some fusing somewhere. You would have to remove it and open it up.

BUT (big word!) if the fuse has blown it is most likely for A.N.Other reason.

Fatmarley likes this.
  3. Bjork67

Bjork67 pfm Member

Phone a Chinese.

Fatmarley likes this.
  4. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

a few hours ago i was showing someone an induction hob and how it works , he had just bought new saucepans which were not compatible with the induction hob too !!

so the advantage i guess with ceramic is you can use more types of saucepans . i will leave it to others re advantages of induction . i would be changing it for a new one unless its relatively new

140 quid new for a hotpoint with a warrenty
    https://ao.com/product/hr619ch-hotpoint-ceramic-hob-black-49716-38.aspx

Fatmarley likes this.
  5. andrewd

andrewd pfm Member

Induction hobs are 1000 times better. Well worth the hassle of getting new cookware.

6. Fatmarley

Fatmarley pfm Member

Sorry, my mistake. It is an induction hob.

Tony Lockhart likes this.
  7. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

I bought an ex display Cook and Lewis induction hob in B & Q as a stopgap for £100 as the one in our new house was buggered. It’s been fine so far and I have no intention of replacing it.

Fatmarley likes this.
  8. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

Agreed, except for woks. They work much better with gas.

Fatmarley and cubastreet like this.
  9. TalYWaun

TalYWaun Member

As everything has stopped working at the same time, it makes me think it’s either the power supply (broken wire in the mains switch/junction box or where the cable is connected to the hob) or (knowing nothing about induction hobs) it’s the control electronics.

Johnjo, Fatmarley and Mullardman like this.
  10. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

I find the Ken Hom wok works quite well on our induction hob. Easily gets hot enough to burn stuff.

11. cubastreet

cubastreet Espresso Fiend

Only on the bottom. A big gas burner heats right up the sides which is important once you throw a couple of portions of rice or noodles in.

martin clark and Bob McC like this.
  12. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

You can get a stand alone wok hob, we've got a Smeg 5.5kW gas one next to the main gas hob. Trivial job doing the plumbing depending on layout.

Induction hobs seem to be a bit Marmite, daughter had one and hated it after being spoilt here.

I had one in Canada for a week and wasn't converted.

13. Thorn

Thorn pfm Member

I've had an induction hob for twelve years and wouldn't go back to gas.
    And I'd not touch an electric hob. Too little control.

14. James

James Lord of the Erg\o/s

I went with induction only because my street does not have reticulated gas, and I really did not fancy periodic refill cylinders taking up space outside. My wife and I really like cooking with gas, but now won't go back. Our induction hob is fantastic; super quick and controllable. But I still miss my old wok. I now use a big flat-bottomed cast iron pan for stir-frying. Not the same as a wok, but adequate for a decent charring.

15. davidsrsb

davidsrsb pfm Member

Asian gas hobs have a big burner specially for woks in a 2+1 arrangement where most UK hobs are 2+2 regular sized

16. foxwelljsly

foxwelljsly Keep Music Vile

You can get an induction hob for woks, it's like a bowl shaped hob. Never used one, though.

17. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Having never used one, the only major advantage to induction hobs would be cleanability.
    Personally, I would always chose something where I can use whatever pan/casserole/whatever on the hob. I have looked at places without mains gas and would use bottled rather than anything else for a hob if I bought one of them.

Hobs with wok rings in the UK are common enough - my dual fuel cooker is 2+1+1, don't quote me on the actual power but they are something like 2 x 2kW, 1 x 1kW and the wok ring 3kW.

18. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

Induction jobs are easier to clean than a ceramic hob. The glass surface doesn't get so hot and bake stuff on in quite same way.

19. Fatmarley

Fatmarley pfm Member

Bought one of these for now (portable cooker). Girlfriend doesn't trust me fitting the hob, and doesn't want an electrician in the house until this corona virus blows over.

20. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

I changed the oven and hob in our last house when my wife was out. She would have had kittens if she had come back halfway through. The existing cabling was very thick and I needed to use an alternative cable entry point. This involved taking the back off the hob. This left all the "rings" floating while I completed the connection. It worked fine for nearly 20 years until we sold the house.

I made sure that all the connections were nice and tight. You want the elements to heat up not the connections!

TalYWaun and Fatmarley like this.