1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Ceramic hob just stopped working.

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Fatmarley, Mar 25, 2020.

1. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

Be a little bit wary if you're fitting it yourself. I get the impression that some hobs regulate power draw.

Some will run on a plug at 3kW, some need 16Amps and some need the full cooker supply at 32Amps.

RTFM before you buy if that matters to you; they all look similar and i doubt the 3kW will deliver full power to all rings simultaneously.

A bit like AV Amps quoting 7 x 500wpc!

2. Sue Pertwee-Tyr

Sue Pertwee-Tyr Staying alert

You need to get somebody to give you a proper induction to them.

3. AudioAl

AudioAl pfm Member

Do you need to put a shilling in the meter ?

4. monkfish

monkfish pfm Member

Bung a bob for the hob.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    Fatmarley and Sue Pertwee-Tyr like this.
  5. andrewd

andrewd pfm Member

The quality does vary. I have stayed in Air B&Bs with cheap induction hobs and was not impressed. But if you get something from one of the better brands like Bosch or Electrolux, you won’t look back (except for Woks as noted upthread, where a dedicated large gas ring is best). The quality of the cookware does matter too, as that is your cooking element. We have had good luck with Le Creuset pots, and for cooking steak Demeyere pans are amazing.

6. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

I am sure our Siemens can be setup to run on different options. You tell it what the supply is when you install it. Best if you can have a full cooker supply.

7. cctaylor

cctaylor pfm Member

Different pans do react differently. You need to learn what settings work for each pan.

8. Colin L

Colin L pfm Member

We have Neff “domino” hobs. 1 x dual induction and 1 x gas wok hob, which is designed for high temp wok cooking. Works a treat and gets used a lot (my wife is Chinese Malaysian).

Highly Recommended, the wok (and my wife :D).