1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheap banger for badge conscious 1st time driver

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Alex S, Mar 23, 2019.

1. Alex S

Alex S pfm Member

Insurance cost being the prime driver, I’ve thought VWs Polo, Lupo and Fox, Fiesta, Corsa at a pinch. Budget £1500 tops...

2. robs

robs pfm Member

Does that £1500 include the insurance?

3. brian2957

brian2957 pfm Member

VW Polo for me .

4. Snufkin

Snufkin pfm Member

The VW Lupo is a great car but getting long in the tooth now. Like a Polo but lighter and more fun. I would go for the SDI* model but most will have intergalactic mileages by now.

* 1700 60hp Diesel (a shortened stroke 1900 cast iron block), non turbo, no dual mass flywheel and usually a basic level of trim so less to go wrong. If you get a latter one they are only £30 to tax.

5. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

2CV

willy and Rockmeister like this.
  6. Alex S

Alex S pfm Member

Forgot to add: must pass ULEZ test.

Insurance is crazy - adding her as a named driver to my policy put £5K on my premium!

Car budget £1K ideally, hopefully not more than the same for insurance.

7. hifinutt

hifinutt hifinutt

what is a ULEZ test . the problem with buying polos s/h at that price is the parts can be very expensive . better to buy a corsa whose parts are cheaper .

8. Alex S

Alex S pfm Member

The North/South circular London emission zone. I think it’s Euro 4 for petrol and Euro 6 for diesel. By an amazing stroke of luck my gas guzzling, ancient cars pass by virtue of being petrol driven. Old diesel owners (the poor) have been screwed.

The Chronicals likes this.
  9. sam_cat

sam_cat ᶜ ᶦˢ ᶠᵒʳ ᶜᵒᵒᵏᶦᵉ

Get a black box insurance policy, ingenie or similar, good careful driving pushes the cost right down. You (and they) get notified when a problem occurs that might affect insurance etc etc.

10. manicatel

manicatel pfm Member

Black box policy is very likely the way to go, but my daughter had one & it drove her, (& anyone else who drove her car, eg me & the mrs) mad, eventually. She got notifications/ warnings of her driving habits & even going 3 or 4 mph over the speed limit got flagged up. That may be an issue driving in cities where if you stick rigidly to 29mph in a 30 zone, other drivers will be getting very impatient with you.
    Adding parents on as named drivers, assuming they have good driving history will probably bring the insurance quote down a bit.
    Realistically, a £1500 budget for a half decent car AND insurance in a big city may be a bit optimistic, sadly. This may have something to do with why there are so many uninsured young drivers.

11. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Badge conscious? VW all day. Fiesta at a push, Corsa is as desirable amongst the young as a fresh turd.

12. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disruptor

Yes its Euro 6 for Diesels.My 2011 2.0TDI (25K on the clock) Euro 5 falls into Nasty Kahn's working class tax as well. The extension of that zone is one of the worst things ever to be done to local working class. It will essentially cost me £10 or thereabouts to drive out of my driveway, a day. Its literally going to punish hundreds of thousands and put them into debt having to change perfectly good vehicles..many of which where bought through the Governments drive to diesel power.

13. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disruptor

I'd go for a Yaris for cheap runabout or a Suzuki Swift.

14. Alex S

Alex S pfm Member

Given he's a labour mayor it does indeed seem extremely poorly thought through.

I quite fancy driving a Polo GTI, a Fiesta ST, a Suzuki Swift Sport, an UP GTI etc but the cheapest insurance version, not so much.

15. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disruptor

He will be on a payroll of someone profiting from it, thats a given. He is no more Labour than Tony Blair.

Snufkin and Alex S like this.
  16. Alex S

Alex S pfm Member

In my dotage I enjoy driving the S2000 at 19mph in London. (Although I do go 0-19 in 0.4 secs).

17. The Chronicals

The Chronicals Disruptor

The irony is my previous Impreza, 500bhp fire spitting, 20mpg, would have been exempt from the ULEZ.

18. Alex S

Alex S pfm Member

If I drove a diesel I'd be mighty pissed off given that's what all eco conscious people were told to drive for years.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr likes this.
  19. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Yaris and Swift are good cars, if they meet the badge requirements of the fashion police.

20. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Waiting for the streetcar..

AIUI, it comes into force in 2021.