1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] Cheap MC Cartridge for RB250 Arm

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by Weeman1973, Nov 28, 2019.

1. Weeman1973

Weeman1973 Big Country Member

Anybody got an inexpensive MC cartridge they want to move on?

Want to try the MC stage on my Crayon Amp with my Manticore Mantra with the RB250 arm.

Anything around the £80 mark would be spot on!

Thanks.

2. rich46

rich46 quad rules

orttifon bronze 200 hours £90 tracks great .been a spare for awhile

3. FluidDruid

FluidDruid Active Member

Is that the 2m Bronze? - not an MC :)

I have an Ortofon MC10 Supreme that's currently sitting on my RP6 - Was about to swap it for my 10x5 which has sat next to it for a few years!

4. david ellwood

david ellwood Kirabosi Kognoscente

Whilst on the subject , I’d like a valve power amp for £75

5. Weeman1973

Thanks Rich but after a cheap MC, not MM cartridge

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

I was under the impression that RB250s were not that suitable for m/coils. Maybe there are some with higher compliance that'll do, but I remember a friend going to a 300 to accommodate his Ortofon m/coil.

Weeman1973 likes this.
  7. Yank

Yank Bulbous Also Tapered

There's a difference in mass between the 250 and 300?

8. Weeman1973

Ahhh, good point - need to look into this a little further then thanks.

9. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Interesting. The E.M. of the 300 is actually half a gramme less than the 250 at 11.5g. Same ball-park as the SME 5 (and 4?). Certainly not the best for lower compliance coils, but I don't know why the 250 was considered generally unsuitable for coils; bearings maybe? I've had a Koetsu Black G and Urushi in my previous Five (as well as Lyras, but their compliance is much lower) and they were okay, though the Five is known for being very versatile and is a much better arm, of course.

Maybe it's simply lower compliance coils which are less compatible, and they were the norm when the 250 came out (not that there were many compared to m/magnets).

10. Yank

Isn't the main difference between 250 and 300 just the method of applying downforce? And the quality of the counterweight and stub? The 300 had a heavier sintered tungsten counterweight available as an option, needed for heftier cartridges.

11. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Na, there's actually a whole rake of differences. In fact, apart from the arm tube, there isn't very much about the two arms that is the same.

12. Yank

What else, besides the two items I listed?

13. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

Over the RB250, the RB300 has:

Stainless steel pillar, brass on the 250. Better alignment and greater rigidity.

Vertical bearings on a stainless shaft rather than pressed into the alloy armtube boss. Better alignment, consistency and rigidity.

Dynamic rather than static tracking force application. Better tracking.

Denser counterweight.

Different bearing yolk and shaft.

Basically, all of the working and structural parts of the arm, other than the arm tube, are different. The tube is the biggest and most visible part so the two arms look very similar.