1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[WTD] Cheap turntable

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by calorgas, Nov 8, 2019.

1. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

My better half wants to revisit some of our lp's that we stashed in the loft, so I'm on the lookout for a record player. I'm not convinced that it'll get much use so I don't want to spend a lot, maybe £100-200. It needs to be simple to set up and use and preferably be quite compact. A usable cartridge would also be a good thing too ;-)

I was thinking of something straight forward like an old Rega or Systemdek or similar, but open to ideas. I'm based on the Somerset/Dorset border and am willing to travel maybe an hour or so, or if someone has something they're comfortable posting....?

2. Bart

Bart pfm Member

Hi, I’ve got a couple in my collection which I need to thin out. Dual 1209 (full automatic and compact) and Sony PS X3 (manual operation, excellent build, quite heavy). Both £80 (each that is!), both have cartridge and stylus, both would of course need an external amplifier and speakers as they are turntables not record players. I live near Heathrow however and wouldn’t want to post.

3. gerlando

gerlando pfm Member

4. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

Thanks for those options; all nice enough and would no doubt do the job just fine (the Marantz would actually match up nicely with my PM4) but all 2+hrs away from me, and I just can't muster the motivation to drive to London!

5. James Evans

James Evans Bedroom Bodger

6. Bart

Bart pfm Member

No problem, people often pass this way so just thought it was worth a mench. Good luck.

calorgas likes this.
  7. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

Hmm, yes, I'd not considered new and that sounds like a pretty good deal. Thanks, I'll mull those over.

8. Joolzdee

Joolzdee pfm Member

I wouldn't hesitate...these are absolute bargains!
    I bought a "slight second" Rega from these guys a while back and there wasn't a mark on it. No idea what the blemish was....
    No connection to Moorgate Acoustics other than being a very satisfied customer.

9. Mr Pig

Mr Pig ^'- -'^

I've bought, repaired and sold a few of these and I agree. I have a P1+ sitting here right now. For similar money you could buy an old Planar3, which is much better built, but sonically the current entry Regas are spot on. Nothing to touch them at the price and stack up very well against a lot of more expensive decks.

The fitted Carbon/AT3600 cartridge is also an inspired choice, perfect for resurrecting your old records. It's warm and full but punchy and rhythmic while the conical stylus makes it forgiving of record imperfections.

The Plus version is handy because it has a decent built in MM phono stage but I wouldn't sweat that as you can pick up a Cambridge stage or something like that for fifty squid.

10. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

Still musing the RP1, wondering if it's a better bet than a tidy Technics SL-1700? Or not!

11. Taff63

Taff63 pfm Member

Moorgate are great to deal with. Stone cold bargain re RP1 imo. I will have a Pioneer PL600X coming in next few days which will show those a clean pair of heels but that would be nearer £300.

12. twotone

twotone pfm Member

13. alanchamberlain

alanchamberlain pfm Member

If I were you, I’d check out the LPs first for condition. If they’ve been subjected to extremes of temperature they may well have got warped and become virtually unplayable. They may also have been treated unkindly in the past (I’m always amazed at how records become so scratched as if they’ve been used for anything rather than music reproduction). Furthermore even if they look OK but have been played with a stylus more suited to ploughing the earth they will sound awful. If any of this applies, I wouldn’t bother.

14. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

Funnily enough I had one of those Pioneers in the past, didn't quite get on with it compared to my modified Lenco's I'd been using at the time.

They're all fine, only went up there about 4 years ago the last time I decided to abandon vinyl ;-)

Thanks, I'll have a look at them too.

twotone likes this.
  15. Graham Fry

Graham Fry New Member

Hiya, if you're still looking, I've got a tidy SL-1700 I'm just about to sell. I've cleaned the pots so the speeds are good, I've added new high quality RCA cables and it's a brand spanking new, unused Ortofon 2M Red on it. Only going to sell as I managed to get a really good deal on a new SL-1500C. I'm in Bournemouth, so not too far away from you either.

16. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

Thanks Graham but I'm now sorted; picked up a tt last night.

Graham Fry likes this.
  17. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

So what did you get?

18. calorgas

calorgas Ratty bumpkin

Well I was nearly sensible and almost went for the reduced rp1, but succumbed to my penchant for crazy old madness and picked up a very smart CJ Walker CJ55 with a Hadcock arm. Looks great and seems to be in gwo, plus it's a similar age to my amp and speakers.

19. Jamie

Jamie pfm Member

Nice!