1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Chernobyl

Discussion in 'off topic' started by farfromthesun, May 8, 2019.

1. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

Anyone watch this last night?

As horrific as expected - cinematic imagery and a great droning soundtrack that just made it all the worse.

Slightly odd were the English accents throughout.

2. Cheese

Cheese Bitter lover

They should have added a low-voiced Ruskie accent for good measure.

3. farfromthesun

farfromthesun pfm Member

4. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

Watched the 1st episode last night on Now TV; thought it was absolutely brilliant (with weird Yorkshire accents too) :D

I'll catch up with the 2nd episode today at sometime...

The soundtrack was very doom & gloom, perfect for it IMO

5. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

How refreshing to not treat the audience as unimaginative idiots and use cod Russian accents.

denni55 likes this.
  6. Conan

Conan Loop digger

A scouser accent would be better

vuk likes this.
  7. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

Staring down into the core-what a way to go, jeez. Superb TV.

farfromthesun and hifilover1979 like this.
  8. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Are other episodes bar the first one available yet? I think it’s a weekly release?

Been watching Chernobyl documentaries in the background this morning - absolutely fascinating. One of the most amazing things is that just simple water is such an amazing insulator at controlling radiation.

hifilover1979 likes this.
  9. hifilover1979

2nd episode was last night on Sky Atlantic IIRC

Yes; seen a few Chernobyl programmes before; really quite scary what happened and how far it actually spread (in the air etc); radioactive sheep in Cumbria haha...

I was nearly 7 when it happened, remember it being in the news too

10. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

I was 13 and remember it well. Can’t really believe that we’ve had both this and Fukushima in our lifetimes. Let’s hope there are no more!!..

11. cutting42

cutting42 Heading to Fish Hacker Erg \o/

Yup. My dad was involved with the spent fuel storage facilities at Calder Hall/Windscale/Sellafield. He was on the team that designed Pond 5, just a big water tank really.

12. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

Just checked Sky, episode one of five was on last night, episode two scheduled for next Tuesday night.

Rug Doc likes this.
  13. hifilover1979

Yeah, got my wires crossed. Thought it was Ep2 last night, it was just a rerun

14. JimR

JimR pfm Member

Q. Why should you never buy Russian underpants?

A. ‘Cause Chernobyl fall out.

15. hifilover1979

Just watched the 2nd episode...

Shit scary stuff. Amazing at how bloody minded the ruskies were and in complete & utter denial.

Even when they're told it's happened and can see it with their own eyes... Nope, didnt happen

Christ on a bike!

denni55 likes this.
  16. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

It’s so good I’ve watched it twice. Absolutely fascinating, but stumbled across this BBC production too, which this Sky Production is a direct copy of!

Watch this too, it’s v interesting.

17. hifilover1979

Aye, already seen that...

It's scary enough that this thing is covered by a concrete sarcophagus that'll need renewing every so often as it's being eaten at from the inside..

Even crazier are the folk that have been deep in to picture the 'elephants foot'

18. denni55

denni55 pfm Member

Watched the 1st episode last night via Kodi,riveting,scary stuff.
    The Kursk and Chernobyl tragedies show how utterly rotten the old USSR was...

hifilover1979 likes this.
  19. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

It’s so scary.

I have a Cold War Russian Submarine clock (Kursk vintage) in my downstairs loo - I’m tempted to get a dosimeter make sure the bugger isn’t radioactive! :mad:o_O

denni55 likes this.
  20. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

Well done production and yes, utterly horrifying. Hard to imagine how much worse it could have been.