1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Chernobyl

Discussion in 'off topic' started by farfromthesun, May 8, 2019.

1. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Would it have destroyed half of Europe if those guys didn’t go in and drain the tanks under the reactor, really??

If so, that would have been planet changing.

2. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

One of the things that I found interesting/disturbing was that all the EU govts colluded to play down the crisis so as not to risk their own nuclear industries and power generation.

hifilover1979 likes this.
  3. eisenach

eisenach Thüringen

Lucky Norway!
    The French were all right because they were told that any pollution had stopped at the frontier, so the map must be wrong!

4. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

It might well have done. What is equally scary is the possibility of lasting contamination. I did raise an eyebrow a couple of years ago, a woman at work who was married to a Polish guy, he had terminal cancer and died, at 30. I did a quick bit of mental arithmetic, he was born in Poland shortly before Chernobyl. Poland got a good deal of the fallout, being right next door. It may be coincidence, but I wouldn't want to think that a newly born baby of mine was a few hundred miles and downwind from an event like that.

I may have copped for a bit of it myself, I'm sure a few of us did. I was climbing in Pembrokeshire that weekend and got caught in the odd shower. Only later did I learn that the rainy bits of the UK had copped for a lot of the fallout, hence the "blue headed" sheep. It was a sobering weekend for me, I got back to discover that a chap who had taken me caving a couple of years earlier had been caught in an incident underground and drowned that weekend. He was in a cave with a group of scouts, same as I had been. It could so easily have been me.

5. cooky1257

cooky1257 pfm Member

I remember buying up powdered milk and was out in Sefton park/Lark Lane the day the rain came over Liverpool.
    The rain smelt of burnt engine oil, I wrapped my little lad who was only 18 months old at the time in my sweatshirt and legged it back to our flat, stripped him off and gave him a bath.
    What I hadn't been aware of was how close to an even more serious detonation they'd come.

6. Cav

Cav pfm Member

It did not even destroy half of Chernobyl. Flora and fauna continue to thrive.

7. thebiglebowski

thebiglebowski pfm Member

Zero, it took nearly a week for the fallout to reach the UK so the weekend and through to the following thursday would have been safe.

stevec67 likes this.
  8. MJS

MJS Trade: Consultant at WH Audio

Ive just spent a week in the former East Germany catching up on the history of Berlin in all its forms. Chernobyl was one of those events that kept cropping up as relevant in recent history. If the policies of glasnost and perestroika weren’t in effect then it would have been business as usual and the iron curtain may have taken longer to fall. The weird thing is I can still quote the Spitting Image episode after it happened - welcome to “Potato World”

9. juz400

juz400 pfm Member

Those 3 guys are among the bravest on the planet, what a cliff-hanger ending for the 2nd episode

You may remember this place from the hospital scenes

10. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Just checked dates, the disaster was 25-26 Apr, I was out in the occasional showers a week later, 3-4-5 May. So it would have made it to the UK by then. Ah well. 30 years on, I'm sure other factors have outweighed it by now.

11. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

12. Monitor Gold 10

Monitor Gold 10 Active Member

One of my earliest memories; due to spending a lot of time having X Rays (Chest Infection) and this event, as a child, whenever I saw the Radioactivity Symbol, I'd start to feel extremely anxious. This is because I was told that Radioactivity was extremely dangerous, yet invisible and odourless... Scary for anyone let alone a 6YO child!

13. Monitor Gold 10

Monitor Gold 10 Active Member

I few years ago I worked next to a Nuclear Power Station. Periodically, a Medical Unit would appear and check colleagues... This was optional, and I wasn't aware of any of this until I asked!

14. madmike

madmike I feel much better now, I really do...

An excellent programme and truly scary.

I'm against nuclear power. Why go to all that risk just to create steam to drive a turbine and generate electricity.

Spoiler Alert......

The three guys who drained the tank survived for many years!!!!

15. Eyebroughty

Eyebroughty JohnC

16. matt j

matt j pfm Member

I saw this years and years ago and it stuck with me ever since, those poor liquidators.

17. Mr Cat

Mr Cat Owner

I think I posted this guys first video from this but it went viral too..(his channel is great anyway - worth checking out) and he returned back to the tiny village he went to first time around with some food for thew family he saw...

18. hifilover1979

hifilover1979 Bigger than you...

Just caught up with the 3rd episode... Haunting

19. Hook

Hook Blackbeard's former bo'sun.

The hospital scenes in episode 3 were nightmarish.

denni55 and hifilover1979 like this.
  20. Tim Jones

Tim Jones pfm Member

There are at least two (maybe more) different accounts of the risk of all the water under the plant. In one, the risk (as you imply) was of an actual thermonuclear detonation in the 2-3Mt range; although with my paltry understanding of the physics I don't really understand the mechanics of that. In another, it was about the water table. Perhaps both?